Sunday, October 5, 2008

Reallygulous?

I haven't seen Religulous yet, but I will. One of my pet peaves is folks who make assumptions about movies or books without taking the time to actually see or read. However, I have had ample chance to hear Bill Maher speak about the movie, as he has made every tv talk show and NPR. Reviews are in all the magazines, most of which include interviews with Bill.

I have been critical of religion myself from time to time. Probably once or twice a week. It is difficult to ignore some of the more destructive events in history that were done in the name of religion. You know, the Crusades, the Inquisition, 9/11, wars of many descriptions, oppression, etc. It is also difficult to ignore some of the pettiness of we who exercise religion.

So, a good critic, maybe even a prophet, is not a bad thing. It is a hard thing, but a good thing.

Lately though, the critics of religion that are getting the press seem to be those who are looking from the outside in. Not prophets. More like deriders.

If I can draw asssumptions from the interviews I have heard and read from Maher, I have to assume that he believes in no religion, and finds laughable those people whose inferior intellects allow them to. He is certainly free to think as he will. But, he claims such an intellectual superiority in doing so. Not unlike his political perspectives. Truth is, I like to watch Bill Maher. I think he is funny, smart, and says some important things.

But me thinks he doth protesteth too much. A tad presumptuous on my part, but I say, why not meet one presumption and raise it another. It is one thing to make fun of the foolishness of religion. It is another to call those people fools who believe. It can be a constructive thing to keep before us the ways that religion got off the path. It is another thing to completely ignore the good that religion has done in the world. Why would one who portrays himself as intellectual be so dismissive of religion, which has been a part of the human existence since before we learned to write about it? Does Maher believe that he has suddenly appeared as the next higher order in evolution that suddenly understands what billions before him did not? That must be a heavy burden.

I do not believe he is ignorant, which, it appears, is not a view he would share of me. Forget spirituality for a moment. Religions have provided inestimable amounts of health care, charity, education, and cultural advancement. It's just a simple fact. Religions have provided standards to live by that have advanced civility quicker and with more commitment than any other cause. But Maher has chosen not to address this side of the equation. Why would one who wants to be known for cutting through the crap ignore a significant percentage of the truth ?

Perhaps Bill Maher is afraid. If something is beyond his intellectual capacity to understand or obtain, then it cannot exist. Because if it did exist, he could never gain a superior knowledge or understanding through intellect. And then where would he be? Just like the rest of us?

Jesus realized this about Bill, and people like him, sometimes like me. Jesus said you have to be like a child to understand the truths that he brought. Did he mean dumb? Not on your life. He meant an openness to all possibilities, and believing that some realities exist that can only be experienced by faith.

It is not intellectual to be close-minded.

It is ridiculous.

So, now I will go see the movie. Perhaps I will have to eat crow. Perhaps I am being presumptuous and defensive. I'll try to have an open mind and let you know.

3 comments :

  1. Jesus has been getting a lot of play in the media lately. Family Guy had Jesus as the center of the show last night.

    Is even bad publicity good publicity?

    For the longest time it seemed America wanted to talk about how great Christianity is. So people set out to prove those folks wrong.

    Now it seems America is talking about how horrid Christianity (and religion) is and there will be those who stand up and prove those folks wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not yet seen Religulous either, though I expect you're correct about Maher's presumptiveness. I plan to see it, and to be irked when he makes ridiculous assumptions about the intelligence of people who are religious.

    The truth is, neither he, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea what happens after we die. He's admitted as much, and has described himself (I can't find where I read this) as someone doesn't think there's a God, but can't be certain. Not a confirmed atheist, but someone who is leaning atheist, as Dawkins says.

    That's fine with me. My guess is (based on the trailers) that he doesn't really interview thoughtful religious people, but instead (and I'll probably laugh at this too) makes a mockery of hard-line creationists, fundamentalists, and evangelicals, while ignoring the thoughtful religious majority.

    Maybe he makes the case from a broader perspective, as Richard Dawkins does (though I listened to the audiobook and he read it, and he was definitely condescending at points while being English, so it was very pompous-sounding. Maybe it's not that way in the text...). But the point of this movie is largely entertainment, I'm sure, so I doubt that's the case.

    I'll be interested to know your thoughts after you've watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Madison. I am trying to link you on my blog, but I guess the best I can really do is link Media. I'll try again later.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics