Thursday, January 20, 2011

Moles, Polls, and Souls . . .(it's about the Governor)

When I was a student at the University of Alabama I suffered a minor injury in an intramural football game. An opposing player was flailing at me for some reason, as if I were a threat, and raked his fingernails across my chest. One of his nails caught on a mole, not the animal but the skin growth variety, and partially removed it for me. Who knew it would bleed like that?

Anyway, he did not offer to remove it the rest of the way, and I didn't want to do it myself. At the time moles were sort of mysterious to me, as were many things in those days, so I went to the yellow pages to find a doctor, a dermatologist. I did not think that this particular problem could be solved with the sample Sucrets Sore Throat Lozenges they always dispensed when you went to the University Infirmary.

As I looked down at the listings I was quite surprised to see that one of the few dermatologists in Tuscaloosa was Robert Bentley, M.D. With a name like that, I thought, he must be a prince of a fellow and a fine physician, so I called his office and got an appointment.

Dr. Bentley did a fine job removing the rest of the mole and patching me up. Apparently there wasn't nearly so much mystery as I had imagined. We exchanged laughs about having the same name and I went on my way. Our paths did not cross again while Iwas a student except for a couple of wrong numbers and junk mail.

That is how I met the Governor. Before he was governor. Before he was even in politics at all. It was a good experience.

I became aware that Dr. Bentley was getting into politics when a couple of youth from the church brought me a yard sign that they somehow obtained after attending a Bama game which said "Robert Bentley for Senate." Under that in smaller letters it said he was a Republican. That was back in the day when the candidate's name was more important than whether he was a Republican. These days in Alabama it is clearly more important to put "Republican" in large letters. The candidate's name is secondary. But I digress. Back to Dr. Bentley.

So it was fun when Robert Bentley decided to run for governor. Fun for me, I mean. I had my picture taken in front of his campaign tent on the quad before a football game. It turned out rather well I thought, with all my paraphernalia with my name on it in the background. Long lost acquaintances got in touch to see if I was the one running for governor. I said sure, send the donation on in. With my name on all those signs along the rights of way I felt like every trip I made anywhere in the state was a homecoming. On election day I received several phone calls at the office seeking information about what my plans were after the polls closed. Some were prank calls from friends, but still fun, nonetheless.

For those of you who are familiar with this blog and familiar with Governor Bentley, you probably recognize some differences in the political views held by the governor and me. Very few similarities. Mostly differences. Sort of like Bizzaro World Bob. This was borne out more as the campaign heated up, especially during the debates. I winced as Governor Bentley answered. But to be fair I winced at Democrat Ron Sparks as well. The answer to every question cannot be gambling. At least that's what I thought before I heard Sparks. I was wrong. But again I digress, back to Governor Bentley.

I, like many, was surprised that Robert Bentley was nominated, and then elected. During the campaign he presented the image of a decent, concerned, competent, albeit extremely conservative candidate ready to heal what ailed us.

I believe he is truly decent, concerned, competent, and extremely conservative. I hope that he is a great governor, even though I disagree with him on so many things.

So I guess I am going to cut him a bit of slack. For those of you who don't know, Governor Bentley committed what many consider to be a gaffe at best, and a sin at worst, in a speech during the inauguration festivities. Briefly, he noted that as a Christian he had many brothers and sisters in Alabama who were also Christian. But he was not the brother of non-Christians though he would like to be. He used a lot more words. Probably shouldn't have used any of them.

It was bad. Very offensive. At best it was horrible speech writing. At worst it was a distortion of Jesus message, according to many. I agree.

Lots of folks spoke out against him. You know how brothers and sisters can go after each other. I am one of them.

Then I read a letter from Rabbi Jonathan Miller to the governor. Do a search on his name and you'll find it. It was strong in expressing his concerns, but so very, very gracious. Grace from one who could only assume he was not part of the Governor's family. I'm pretty sure Rabbi Miller knows he is part of God's family.

So, I'm off the bandwagon. I am once again embarassed by something we have done here in Alabama, and I am sad the Governor said what he said.

But Rabbi Miller suggests the higher road. He acknowledged the hurt, but provided a means for restoration and reconciliation.

Sounds like something I learned in Sunday School.

Shalom.


.

2 comments :

  1. I am proud to be related to the Robert Bentley that is NOT the governor. Gov. Bentley made a mistake. Hopefully he learned something from it, otherwise I'm not looking forward to the rest of his term. I may not have agreed with many of Bob Riley's ideas, but at least he didn't embarrass me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may be a doofus, but cut the man a break. There are a ton of people out there intentionally spewing hate. I don't think Gov. Bentley falls into that category. It's a little funny that the governor is being crucified for what, in my opinion, was an attempt to build a rapport with the black community, an act that under different circumstances would be viewed in a very positive light.

    Only one thing is for sure...he sent a clear signal that his administration will not discriminate based on race.

    Now that is progress!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics