Thursday, August 11, 2011

Banana peels . . . I had you all wrong. (Thurvey)

I have a deadline to meet, so the obvious thing to do is to read the news and post a blog.

One of the puzzling things I remember from my childhood involved taking out the trash. My mother, trying to be polite I suppose, would say "do you want to take out the trash?" Even at a tender young age I was a bit rebellious, though never where she could hear. "Why of course," I would grumble under my breath, "who wouldn't want to haul a load of old coffee grinds, egg shells and banana peels out back, it is my pleasure." In my defense I was a bit of a scrawny child so taking out a full, ripe kitchen trash can required that I hug it up against my body, which positioned my nose in close proximity to the top of the can. I can still remember that wonderful mixture of aromas of meals past.

One of the signature smells of that kitchen garbage was old banana peels. It wasn't a rotten smell, as old milk cartons or rotten vegetables might produce, it was much less pungent. And yet, I identify that essence of banana peel with trash that needs to be removed from the house.

Banana peels suffer from poor public relations strategy. And it is not just the association with trash. If one believes the common lore, the banana peel is the cause of most of the world's injuries from slips and falls. But I've never really known anyone, other than Elmer Fudd and his colleagues, who ever suffered from such an accident. Dweadfully unfair when you think about it.

So it was heartening that today's news contained a story of redemption for the banana peel. Somehow a scientist figured out that banana peels could be used to soak up heavy metals from polluted waters. Things like copper and mercury and lead. Banana peels do it better than anything being used now and they cost virtually nothing. At least until someone figures out that banana peels really smell a lot like money in light of this discovery.

So maybe I, maybe we all, have been wrong about the lowly, laughable banana peel.

It makes me wonder what else we are wrong about.

So, for those of you who have missed the Thurvey, that is to say, the Thursday survey, that can be your question.

What might you, or we, be wrong about? (Not rhetorical. Please comment if you are so inclined).

.

4 comments :

  1. I have always believed that television isn't granted a place that equals its influence or even its content. I think people love to make jokes about the absurdity of television, how poorly written sitcoms have become, and in essence the quality of television. I think there are simply marvelous programing on television. Where else can we be treated to such a splendid drama as "Friday Night Lights" and then immediately buy a faux diamond immediately thereafter.

    The widespread diversity of television programming is amazing. I saw us beat the Russians for the "do you believe in miracles" game when our country needed a boost. We saw a human being walk on the moon. We saw the horrors of Viet Nam and how television changed history from that ill fated excursion into empire building. I love watching to programs where Lions chase some poor zebra to its death. Listen to how the lions have evolved a method for the hunt, and wondered why the zebras have never developed any real strategy to even the playing field. We can watch the disfunction of American goverment 24 hours a day. We can watch our President wax eloquently which may or may not be appreciated.

    In summary, televsion is a great learning tool. I started write about the great value of airline tickets despite their price, but am still waiting for my luggage from my last flight and am still a bit miffed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My epistemological modesty knows no bounds. I am fairly certain that I am wrong all the time. I am constantly worried that I might be over-thinking things, trying to avoid stereotypes, generalizations, and simplemindedness, and in the process, overlooking the obvious answer in favor of the thoughtful response. I also worry that I might get too intellectually lazy to think about anything at all, and become like so many people in our modern culture, easily hypnotized by the easiest and most straightforward answer, involving the least amount of cognitive dissonance. I guess I am saying that there are times to be thoughtful, and other times when the obvious answer is best, and it is very easy to confuse the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous one, I also wonder why the airline ticket is not viewed with more esteem. You pay your money, you sit down, and most of the time you and your luggage arrive where you meant to be hundreds or thousands of miles away. It's not like we have to flap the wings or anything. It does disturb me that the folks in first class get real life preservers while the rest of us use seat cushions . . .

    And anonymous two, I am sorry you are so conflicted. Perhaps a visit from your grandparents will help you find clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I was wrong all along about my little brother loving to take out the trash.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics