Wednesday, February 6, 2013

They knew me not . . . Matthew 25 again

 I was reminded yesterday by an unlikely person about some important things.  The fact that I think he was an unlikely person is an indictment of me.  He reminded me of some basic things about our faith, like love and forgiveness, and how those things are more powerful than hate and vengeance.

I was also reminded by that experience of some things that Jesus said.  The least shall become greatest.  The last shall be first.  The weak shall be strong.  Bring the children close to me, do not keep them away. Feed the hungry, heal the sick, visit the imprisoned, stand with the oppressed.and the widow.  Whatever you do to the least of these, my children, you do to me. Yeah, I'm back to Matthew 25 again. 

It shouldn't bother too many readers that I am talking about what Jesus said in the Bible. Most of you are from Alabama, or at least the southern U. S., which is the second Holy Land.  We believe in Jesus.  We believe in everything the Bible says. We wear it on our t-shirts and display it on our bumpers. Sometimes we even tattoo it on our bodies.

That is why we understand how it's going to be at the end times.  We've read the eternal script..

We know we are right, and alright, cause it says so, right there in the scripture. We have the keys to the kingdom.

We know it by heart.  John 14:6 says:

:Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Sorry about the rest of  you. We are part of an exclusive club.  Nobody's getting to heaven without meeting Jesus.

Who knows what that really means?  Okay, that was rhetorical, you can put your hands down, or comment at the end of the post if you wish.  

I got sort of a different mental picture yesterday as I sat still at the end of a rough afternoon..  A picture of Jesus, welcoming people just outside of heaven.  There wasn't any way to get through without going right by him.  He was having a great time with everyone coming home.

And then as I got closer I noticed who else was there with Jesus.  Lots of children.  Laughing, giggling, cutting up. But there were others there as well. Adults. But they were smiling and laughing almost as much as the children. Some had on prison orange. Many were Latino.  There were African Americans and white folks too. People of all races and ages and description.  Some were seated at a picnic table, putting away the groceries as if they hadn't eaten in weeks. Others were jumping and dancing, as if they had not partied in years.

As I approached, Jesus called out my name in welcome.  He seemed glad to see me.

"Here comes Bob,"  Jesus said.  "Y'all know him don't you?  He's from Alabama, too.  I am sure you've met, cause I told him to take care of you. I told him to love you.  Surely you remember when he came to feed you on the streets of Birmingham. Or when he came to repair your houses down in the Black Belt. Or when he visited you in jail or the hospital.  I told him that you were there." 

"Or maybe you know him because he spoke out loudly to the powerful when there was no money to pay for your school or your doctor, or they tried to make life miserable for you so that you would go home, or taxed your groceries so folks more well off didn't have to pay more taxes.  I know I let him know about your problems."

"I know he knew about you.  He prayed for you sometimes."

The crowd around Jesus became quiet and looked at me in silence.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics