Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Confessions of a Straight as an Order of the Arrow Boy Scout

I was a Boy Scout.  Despite what my grandmother seemed to think, that was no merit badge of masculine heterosexuality in the circles in which I moved, despite those magnificent khaki green knee socks held up with red garters that made up the lower half of the summer uniform.  If it were the babe magnet she claimed, the young women that I knew showed great restraint, never letting me see their weak knees or anything else for that matter, a failure that would not have been shared around a campfire.

Adolescent guys talk about sex. A lot. Even Boy Scouts.  Even if we knew very little about it.  Maybe because we knew very little about it.

It seems weird to hear the big controversy about gay scouts.  I don't know which of my fellow scouts were  gay, but I would imagine some were. That fact made absolutely no difference in my scouting experience, which  may have been the best one ever thanks to one of the two best scoutmasters ever, Roy Wheat, of Oneonta's Troop 160. (The other best scoutmaster was my Uncle Ralph, scoutmaster in Talladega.  All those guys called him Uncle Ralph.  But he really was my Uncle Ralph).  But I digress, perhaps because a hard confession is coming up.

.I guess I am making excuses now.  More like confessing.   Calling each other fags and queers was commonplace at meetings and while hiking and camping, but certainly not meant to single anyone out.  I'm pretty sure that description was directed at each of us at some point or another. We couldn't be expected to be clever with our juvenile  repartee all the time.   Yes it was awful. Maybe it isn't a good excuse that we were just adolescents crazed with racing hormones.  But it was certainly not meant to be as hurtful as calling someone a virgin. . We could not be certain of everyone's sexual preference, but we were Boy Scouts, after all, and pretty certain everyone was truly a virgin, despite what was claimed around the campfire.  And the truth hurts.

Anyway, I am sorry I didn't speak out and say the right thing at the time.  But I would have just been called more clever names. I guess I was just scared.  I don't remember of what.   Don't act like you didn't do the same thing. That's another thing about adolescent guys.  We were scared of a lot of things.  But mostly scared that someone would find out we were scared.  So, I never said a word.

 I  seriously regret all that.  Because now I realize that some of my friends, who were just children at the time,  were probably truly hurt and isolated by the words that were tossed around so casually and derisively.  There is nothing I can do about that now, except try to do better.

But back to my point.  Percentages and common sense tell me that my scouting experience included friends who were gay.  And my scouting experience was great.  So what's this fuss all about now?  Does anyone really believe that scouting has not been inclusive of gays since its inception?  Does anyone really believe this is something that has come up all of a sudden?   What's this all about?

Two things it is not about.

It is not about the scouts.

And it is not about Jesus.

The Boy Scouts of America recently announced that the organization would accept openly gay children and youth as scouts.

Consequently, a couple of churches in the Birmingham area have decided it would no longer let the Boy Scouts use its facilities because to continue to provide such assistance would be a repudiation of the churches' belief that being gay is a sin, and gay people are unrepentant sinners.

Jesus, kneeling on the steps of the church, with His arms wide open, saying,

"Let the children come to me, do not keep them away .  .  . unless they may not be certain of their sexuality, or, heaven forbid, they are sure they are gay, in which case, send those little **** and ****** somewhere else, those perverted children have no place in my house, certainly not on my knee."

Sorry. I just couldn't let Jesus say the hateful  words that we used as youthful scouts, even my fictitious Jesus.  Even without those words spelled out, I know the image is rough. Perhaps heretical.  I agree. . The thought of it makes me want to cry.  Seriously.  Because there is no reason that gay scouts, gay children, who used to meet in those churches, would believe anything else about Jesus.  After all, it was His body, the church, who forbids them to come. Because they are evil, lost sinners. Forbid to show up in church in the name of Jesus.  

First, let me say, I do not believe that being gay is a sin.  Comment if you wish.

But the truth is, it doesn't matter what I name as someone else's sin.   And it doesn't matter what you name as someone else's sin..  Not only does it not matter, the act of defining the sin of others was not something you wanted to do around Jesus.  It never ended well for the accuser, who always ended up with a plank in the eye, or a pile of stones untossed.

But these churches are saying that they must preserve their integrity, must stand up for what they believe to be the desires of God in a world that is going to hell.  If you don't stand for something you stand for nothing.  And that is right.  Churches should try to do that.

So, as long as there are hungry, homeless, and poor people in the Birmingham area, and people drive up to the church on Sunday morning in cars that cost tens of thousands of dollars, after being on vacations that cost thousands,  after leaving homes that cost hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, those churches should be nearly empty.

Because Jesus talked a lot about the sins of greed, selfishness, and love of material wealth.  And about giving all to the poor.  And taking care of the homeless, the poor, the widows and the orphans.

And the children.

So, as long as we refuse to give up our wealth, renting larger and larger storehouses to keep it all in,  and fail to take care of the least, last and lost, we are sinning.  We are sinners.

And we shouldn't be allowed in church.

The weird thing, Jesus talked about that a lot.  A whole lot.  You know what he never talked about?

Being gay.

We are all sinners.  And we all belong in church.

 Jesus himself said the Scout motto on at least one occasion.

Be prepared.

Cause no one knows when or where He will show up.

Or as who.

.

19 comments :

  1. Thank You Bob. HK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "gratias agimus tibi" Bob. If only this could fit on a bumper sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I agree that evangelicals (and especially Southern Baptists) can get way off base with the boycotts of Disney and the like, these churches disassociating themselves with an organization that is condoning the habitual practice of sin is quite different from telling sinners that they are not welcome in a church. You mention that "being gay" is not a sin, does that extend to the practice of homosexuality? (Assuming you are differentiating the "status" of proclaiming onself as gay from the "action" of a physical relationship since we would hope that most boy scouts are engaging in neither homosexual or heterosexual activities - but that is a whole other topic...) If you are suggesting that the act of homosexuality is not a sin, I would be interested in how you justify that biblically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I am going to bring up a point I am sure all of us have heard millions of times, sure there are bible verses that condemn the act of homosexuality, but there are also verses that condemn eating shellfish and wearing clothes of mixed fibers. There are verses that condemn a ton of stuff that Americans do pretty much daily these days and I am going to guess that you don't follow those ones because they are out of date and don't apply today. Well, same thing goes for verses about homosexuality. They are outdated and they, just like everything else in the bible, should be interpreted in the context of society today. Not to mention, the bible does say to love thy neighbor, which includes your sinning neighbor (if we are going to say that homosexuality or the act thereof is a sin). Last thing, if humans were indeed created in his image, and we know now that homosexuality is not a choice, but rather we are born with it, wouldn't god be gay too? He created gay people and if we are made in his image, he would logically be gay. Unless of course, it is a sin and gays are unrepentant sinners, then god would be pretty messed up to make them just to smite them and send them to hell. Just some things to think about.

      Delete
    2. Two quick things and then I will simply agree to disagree. 1) Loving your neighbor does not include condoning obvious sin. We as modern day "christians" have gotten confused about lovingly condemning sin (activities) without condemning the sinner. Paul was very clear the we are to be iron sharpening iron when we see sin in our fellow believers, and that we are not to condone sin in any situation. 2) We are created in God's image, but we live in a fallen state in a fallen world. We all deal with sin in varying degrees in different areas of our lives. You may have a problem with vulgarity while I don't and I may have a problem with gluttony while you don't. The same thing applies to Satan's perversion of God's perfect creation in the area of sexuality. While I have no doubt that some people struggle with homosexual vs. heterosexual choices more than I do, I still believe it is a choice on their part to either choose God's way or not to choose God's way. Even if you ignore the admonitions about homosexuality in the Bible as outdated, can we at least agree that homosexulatiy is not God's perfect and original plan for our lives?

      Delete
    3. I will admit that it irks me a little when people leave open to interpretation the idea that believing someone is sinful means that I don't love them, or even hate them. It just doesn't follow, because all people are sinners. I believe myself to be a sinner, and I believe you, whoever is reading this, to be a sinner as well. I don't hate you. I rather hope you come to know your own separation from God, and seek him with your all through the loving forgiveness that is found in Jesus Christ. I must also state that the food cleanliness laws of the OT where meant as an outward sign of differentiation, whereas the moral laws, all of them, are also taught in the NT because they address heart issues. This does include homosexual activity. (I should also state here that sin is sin, whether it is my impatience, greed or lust, or your impatience, greed or lust. They all stem from self-seeking, which is the opposite of love, and thus sin.) As for the statement about homosexuality being ok because we (humanity) have members that are born that way, the logic doesn't follow. Remember the fall of Genesis 3:5. Humanity is made in God's image, but we are also twisted by sin. Basically, we all have something similar to a genetic defect, because our first spiritual parents, Adam and Eve, acquired that genetic defect.

      As for God being pretty screwed up to make people just to send them to hell, the answer of scripture is, who are you, oh clay pot, to accuse the potter? Listen friend, this life is maybe 4 or 5 score years. After this life is eternity. Do you actually believe that not pursuing something that we want or desire in this life means that we are missing out? Eternity is a long time, and the rewards of coming to God through faith in Jesus Christ and striving to live a life of obedience are much greater than what we are denying in this life. Think about the eternal perspective, and take a look at what the God you call "screwed up" was willing to undergo in order to gain eternity for those who would be his. Think about it.

      Delete
  5. Maya Angelou, a very wise woman with a breadth of experience, said: "When we know better, we do better." May we all know better! When Jesus faced the question of "Mercy or Justice-under-the law?" he chose mercy. May we also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amen Bob! amen! -- just another Eagle Scout/OA Brother for true universal equality

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article Bob. Just because they are gay does not mean they do not want to learn how to "BE PREPARED". Some kids do not even know they are gay till later on in life. Sometimes it is not a chosen way of life but a life that they were born with and not knowing.

    You can tell by the lifestyle of a boy he is gay, but a lifestyle of a woman you cannot. So what will the Girl Scouts do now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always so interesting to me when there is justification in anyway for shunning "sinners". The book of Matthew is a current theme in our home right now. Upon being asked why Christ dines with sinners he replies "For go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners". And again, "blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy". And again, "this is my blood, the blood of the new convent, which is shed for the forgiveness of sins. Drink from this cup, all of you". Where do you find exclusivity? Where is the justification for turning anyone away? Are we not to call the "sinner" to us instead? Or, you could believe as I do, that being gay is not a sin. If someone is born gay, and we are born in Gods image, why would God create someone who is condemned to live a life of sin? Why would the act of love ever be a sin? "And if you had known what this means: I desire mercy not sacrifice, then you would not have condemned the guiltless".

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me it boils down to this.... How many times have we heard the question, "When did you CHOOSE to be gay?" If you believe that, then wouldn't the reverse hold true as well? When did I CHOOSE to be straight? When did I KNOW I was straight? Answer to both - I didn't choose and I always knew. If that is the question you are asking of any person, straight or gay, maybe it's time to change the question.
    I applaud the Boy Scouts for this act of inclusion of all children.
    Great read Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's too bad these folks painted themselves into such a tight spot. Of course they'll insist they don't hate anybody, empty words.
    Maybe we'll get over being so tribal one day and start actually caring about things that make a difference - that was what Scouting was founded on - making a difference, making the world a bit better and spreading peace.
    I've been a Scoutmaster now for thirty years and I'll tell you, in one word, the difference between a gay scout of Scouter and a straight one - nothing.
    Thanks so much for your thoughts Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bob! Although I don't know you, a friend passed your post to me thru FB. I would just love to share a statement by Lorri Jean the CEO of the LA Gay & Lesbian Center that ultimately appeared on HuffPo. Have to say, I share her sentiments regarding this whole thing. Here it is:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lorri-l-jean/boy-scouts-decision-this-_b_3332980.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. And to that lawyer that wants to return his merit badges, go ahead and show your homophobia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the Pastors and Churches that are saying "No more BSA in our house of worship" are very clearly blind, I'm convinced. Once the new policy is "enforced," the only thing it does is allows each boy to OPENLY be himself. Who's to say that prior to the vote taking place that there weren't already homosexual boys/adults that entered their church each week for the Troop's meeting? So now that they don't have to hide that fact, all of the sudden the Church is renouncing them? To me, it would have just been easier for them to tell the homosexual boys in the troop to wear "scarlet letters" on their uniforms and call it a day, and it would be just as idiotic.

    My troop's charter was a Catholic church and I am of the Lutheran faith... never once did my charter's leadership come to our meetings and push their beliefs onto us, we were just allowed to be ourselves and conduct our meetings without oversight... sweep the floors, turn out the lights and lock the door when you leave" was about the only interaction they had with us. Isn't this a matter of the charters overstepping their place in Scouting?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gays in the Boy Scouts? Well, yeah . . . the Scouts have always welcomed all boys and, as you said in your post, Bob, some of them were homosexuals. Why should the Scouts do any differently now? I guess this uproar has to do with the Scouts making that inclusiveness "official."

    One of the things I've discovered as I get older is that I can be a free as I choose to be . . . and choosing to be free from having to judge and compartmentalize others is a powerful freedom. It allows me to sit back, take a deep breath, and trust God to sort out the sins of others. I think He can handle it. And it frees me up to work on myself - the only human being I have the power to change. The freedom NOT to judge is liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a little late for the party...... Well Said! Great Read, Bob!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics