Saturday, December 28, 2013

Nuttin' Important this morning . . .

Saturday. Sofa. Coffee

It is a perfect Saturday for the weekend between Christmas and New Years.  Cloudy, rainy, cool. There is little temptation to get up and get out and about. Maybe later. Maybe not. For now coffee, the sofa, and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me on the radio give me a feeling of contentment.

I was reading the news sites this morning.  My favorite article this morning was on AL.com.  There was a headline on the newsfeed which read:

"Woman Stabs Husband with Ceramic Squirrel for Not Bringing Home Beer."

Unfortunately, the lack of beer for Christmas enraged the woman enough to cause her to seriously injure her husband with the ceramic squirrel, so I am somewhat ashamed that the article brought a smile to my face.  But it did. I am sorry.  I think I was reminded of a ceramic nut bowl that my grandmother made and gave me for Christmas several decades ago. I confess that at the time I was not as thrilled with the gift as I let on.  Again, I am ashamed of that feeling. Perhaps if she had included beer to go with the nuts the memory would have been completely different. I can assure you that would be a gift opening the whole family would still be talking about.  If you knew my Baptist grandmother, you would know what I mean.  She was so opposed to alcohol that she was convinced and adamantly insisted that there was absolutely no alcohol in her brandy fruit that she made, kept on the buffet and used for cooking. You could light that stuff with a spark from three feet away. But I must interject that my grandmother never used her ceramics to do harm.

The woman who enlisted the ceramic squirrel to do her dirty work was from South Carolina, thank goodness.

On the same page is an advertisement which made me proud to be from Alabama.  Someone from Springville, just across the mountain from me, has invented a lighted hunting knife.  If you've ever tried to field dress that deer in the dark, you know how hard it can be when you can't see what you're doing.  So this knife has LED lights embedded in the handle in such a way that light is projected onto the area being cut. I am serious about being impressed.  I am not a hunter, but if I were, I am sure that I would have tried to duct tape a pen light to the handle of my knife, which would be a constant source of frustration.  That is a common occurrence with other projects in my life. So, if you want to give a late gift to a hunter, this is your opportunity to be on the leading edge of hunting technology and support the Alabama economy.  From right over there in Springville.  Here's to you inventor of the lighted hunting knife. I would raise a beer in salute, but I don't have any either.

There are many other things in the news this morning, but all those big things will be there next week, and I will probably write about them.  But these small stories like assault with a ceramic squirrel and lit hunting knives don't have the staying power of healthcare, economy, war, and liberty.  I'd rather talk about the small things this morning because they probably won't be a big deal next week.

Which reminds be of a facebook post a friend of mine wrote this morning.  She said that she had a lot of important things that she really needed to do today, but for now, she was snuggling with her young son.

She is right. All that "important" stuff will be there every week-end.. But the small things, like young sons, won't be around to snuggle for many Saturdays.  She has chosen the better thing.

Okay, that's enough rambling. Gotta go see if I can find that ceramic nut bowl before someone gets hurt.

.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics