Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Give me Barabbas . . . it ain't pretty

Lent is normally a time of self-examination for me,  increasing my time spent in spiritual disciplines, re-visiting the gospels' telling of the ministry of Jesus from his Baptism through the Crucifixion.  It just hasn't happened for me this time.  I am dry as the bones in the Ezekiel passage Pastor Stephanie preached about Sunday morning.

Have you ever wondered, if someone made a movie of your life, which actor would be cast to play  your part?  When I think of who I would want to play me in a movie of my life I think of Tom Hanks or Gregory Peck (Atticus Finch portrayal in particular), or maybe Mathew McConaughey just because of the obvious uncanny resemblance. If you want to offer your friends a source of amusement, let them answer that question for you.



Every year during Lent I cast myself in different roles in the gospel story.  Am I  Judas, who betrayed Jesus for his own gain?  Am I  Peter, the everyman disciple, who spoke his mind, even to Jesus, even when he was absolutely wrong, the one who wanted to defend Jesus with a sword, and yet ran and hid in fear denying he knew Jesus three times?  Am I Pilate, who knew that Jesus had done no wrong, but did not feel strongly enough about it to stop the killing?

Isn't that typical?  I choose the big stars, the main characters when I think about my role . . . Tom, Gregory, Mathew, Judas, Peter, Pilate.

Well this year it just has not happened.  There is only one thing that keeps ringing in my ears, that keeps appearing in bold as I read and as I pray.  It is not a person. It is a phrase.

"Give us Barabbas."

Barabbas was a zealot, as far as we know. Pilate offered the crowd gathered at the trial of Jesus an opportunity to free one man.  He asked the crowd, "Free Jesus, or free Barabbas?"

"Give us Barabbas."

So that's the way it is. No big star. No main character. I am just one of the crowd.  The crowd, that when offered the choice, cried out,

"Give us Barabbas."

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I  want Jesus, who refused to judge or condemn, and worse still, refused to let me condemn?  Even the homosexual, the rich, the poor, my enemy, the foreigner or any of those who just don't deserve grace?

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I want Jesus, who told me to love my enemy, to forgive those who have done me wrong, and told me I was wrong if I didn't do both?

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I want Jesus, who told me to give what I have to the poor, and preached more about the sin of my love for material wealth than any other wrong?

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I want Jesus, who said I had to love and serve everyone, without condition, be they Republican or right wing conservative or arrogant or obnoxious or different than me, no questions asked?

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I want Jesus who said I had to follow him to find,  love and take care of the poor, the sick, the homeless, the imprisoned, and the oppressed, without condition, without question?

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I want Jesus, who said the last shall be first, and told me to invite the least among us to my finest parties and give them the best seat in the house?

"Give me Barabbas."

Do I want to save myself?

Hell yes. Give me Jesus.

Yeah, this year, I'm just one of the crowd.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics