Monday, March 24, 2008

Jesus, Politics, and basketball

It is the day after Easter. What do you suppose Jesus' friends did on the day after Easter? For one thing, they didn't call it the day after Easter. I understand that name came a while later. There were a whole lot of other things they did not know yet either. Like, what else was Jesus going to do? Where was He going to appear? What were they supposed to do? Could what they think happened have actually happened? /Were the past three years a waste of time, or would that time define the rest of their lives? Was Jesus going to be hacked because they ran away? What were they going to have for supper? Were the fish biting? How was the weather at the Sea of Galilee?

What did I do on the day after Easter? Or even the afternoon of Easter? After the last of three wonderful worship services of the day which ended at noon, I ate lunch. Then I took a nap on the sofa while watching the NCAA basketball tournament (I can nap since Alabama didn't make the tournament). Not wanting to waste the rest of the holiday weekend, I went to the movie and saw the epic Drillbit Taylor.

Now it is Monday night, the day after Easter, and I am watching the third show in a row of political talking heads. I love this stuff.

It doesn't seem right. Shouldn't my life be changed? Shouldn't I be out serving and loving my neighbor? Shouldn't I be out being the body of the one whose body we all crucified?

But I'm remembering that a couple of the disciples went home to Emmaus. Eventually some went back to their fishing. That's what they were doing right before Jesus invited them to breakfast.

I just hope I recognize Him as He joins me on my walk away from Easter. I pray that I stay close enough to be in earshot when He calls me to come and dine.

2 comments :

  1. gotta say, i'm looking forward to this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t it funny that Jesus’ resurrection didn’t change the whole world overnight? It didn’t change the whole world over the next day, week, month, year or millennium, either. The world was and still is a mess. Someone has been at war constantly since Jesus revealed his very alive self to those few people. There’s been illness, death, hard work, taxes, violence and misunderstanding every single day. Floods and fires and earthquakes and famines have happened. And most of those people who went back to fishing and eating supper and walking back home after they saw the risen Lord —and many others— died martyrs’ deaths for the sake of his alive self. Shouldn’t you be doing something, you ask? Well, you do what you can, don’t you? That’s all Jesus expects you to do, I think. Not everything. Just your thing, the thing that flows from you like living water. So the whole world hasn’t changed. But you have. I have. Those you invited to read your blog have. And so our hope remains that the whole world will change. One day it will. So be it.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics