Monday, July 28, 2008

Are those lambs horns or are you just glad to deceive me . . .

"Lord, protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."

He went to the Western Wall in Jerusalem before dawn and folded and placed his prayer, written on hotel stationary, in the cracks of the stones as millions had done before him. The prayer was meant for no one but God.

It does not make him correct on his positions about war, the economy, health care or personal responsibility.

But if I were placing a prayer in the wall, it would be a lot like Obama's. And probably a lot like many people of faith, even if they disagree with him on issues of war, the economy, health care or personal responsibility.

So be for him or against him based on the issues.

But it's time to accept that he is a traveller on the journey like the rest of us trying to keep our eyes on the One we have chosen to follow. We are not always right, we are just trying to keep up.

The shame of the act of taking this personal confidential prayer from the wall and exposing it to the world is the ultimate expression of what we have done to this man. Maybe the malicious, evil, hateful, false emails and gossip will stop. Maybe those Christians who have acted so unChrist-like will pray that their sins be forgiven and repent.

Or maybe he's the anti-Christ. I heard that in church a couple of Sundays ago.

1 comment :

  1. If he had only put at the end of his letter...

    "And have mercy on the Jewish student who is watching me right now place this in the wall"

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics