Saturday, March 17, 2012

Southern exposure . . .

Saturday. Sofa. Coffee.

First, a few things that have been on my mind at some point this week.  While I am a Democrat, I was glad the State of Alabama finally got some attention in a presidential race.  We have made it too easy on everybody for too long.  Since Alabama went all in for Goldwater in 1964, Republicans have been able to take Alabama for granted when it came to presidential elections, except when we voted for Georgia Democrat Jimmy Carter, our neighbor on the east, in 1976, and our own favorite son George Wallace, in 1968, who ran as the nominee of the American Independent Party.  Before Goldwater, or more accurately, before the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Alabama voted for the Democrat almost as automatically.  The only exceptions were when Robert Byrd and his vice-presidential choice Strom Thurmond, staunch segregationists, decided to run as independents in the fifties and early sixties.  (Robert Byrd received 6 electoral votes to JFK's 5 in Alabama in the 1960 election).

Normally, the Republican nominee has been ordained by the time Alabama gets a say in the matter, but not this year.  The now tiresome struggle for the identity of the GOP required the traditional lock-step to re-choreograph into a rather contrived square dance as the campaigns polished up their stereotypes and came to the strange new world of the real south.

While I disagree with most of my neighbors on the issues, I was impressed to hear how they expressed themselves during the TV interviews.  Reasonable, passionate and appropriately concerned, for the most part.  Worried about federal spending and big government.  Worried about the economy. Strong opinions about church and state and social issues without seeming crazy. More interested in expressing a position than being negative.  One side of an appropriate public dialogue.

By contrast, I was not nearly so impressed with the candidates themselves.  Creased designer jeans, cheesy grits, barbecue, football and y'all.

Bless their hearts.

I think they missed a chance.  The one thing we Alabamians don't like is being fake.  If you're from the north and say "you guys" instead of "y'all" we can handle that.   If you have more money than our state's budget, we don't care. Perhaps you are just a good business man.  If you like to wear preppy sweater vests, that's your choice.

But be yourself.  If you don't like who you really are, why should we?  And learn to laugh at yourself. I promise you could pick up a few votes and get a little more forgiveness.  I may be too sensitive, but the behavior of the candidates almost made it seem like they were laughing at us.  Not with us.

Anyway, I thought my neighbors represented us well.  Don't get me wrong, I still disagree with a lot of the positions they took, but the folks I saw seemed reasonable and genuine.  If Democrats ever matter in Alabama again, I promise to do the same.

I've been pondering a couple of other things this week.  Cousin Robert Bentley, the governor, announced across the board pro-ration of over ten percent in the state budget this week, while the legislature considers passing ideas from other states about mandatory ultrasounds for women or religious education. Serious tax reform to address the budget shortfall was summarily dismissed from consideration. Meanwhile, Alabama citizens who make less than $50,000.00 a year pay more in state sales and income taxes than those who make more, including sales tax on groceries. That is a moral value that a good Christian state  should correct.  It is wrong in anyone's book, especially in the Book for which our belt is known.  These are subjects for next week. Remember, it is important to pay attention.

I drove with my dad to the farm late yesterday afternoon to de-stress from a ridiculous week..  I was reminded  what a beautiful world we get to live in. The air was cool, the trees were budding, flowers and shrubs were blooming, rabbits were darting in and out of the greening wild rose bushes, and the sunset was indescribable.  It reminded me of a much bigger picture. I was refreshed.

It was dark by the time I got of the Prius at my house.   The scent of a cocktail of blooming wild shrubs was soothingly intoxicating.

I think I'll go out and dig some sassafras today.  I need a little spring tonic after the week I've had.

 And sometimes it's comforting to dig for real Alabama roots.

.

1 comment :

  1. Make sure you know that the roots are really sassafras and if they are save me some. Dad told me today how happy the sunset made him! That was a tonic for him.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics