Monday, May 28, 2012

Assumption Consumption

I made some faulty assumptions today.  I assumed that I would save a lot of money at Joseph A. Banks during the "buy one suit, get two more suits free" sale.  I assumed that Mr. P's in Bluff Park would be open for lunch on Memorial Day, and I assumed that there was solid ground under the leaves covering an old drainage ditch as I steered my dad's riding lawn mower over it.

I wanted the suits. I wanted to eat at Mr. P's.  I didn't want to have to get off the lawnmower.  So I didn't question my assumptions.  They permitted me to do as I wanted. So, I spent way more than I thought, I drove to Bluff Park for nothing, and I had to lift the riding mower out of a hole. 

Assumptions are epidemic, due in part to laziness, but perhaps as much because an assumption can justify  desires.  So we defend our assumptions fiercely, often from the hole they leave us in.

Of course, we must make assumptions in life. When based on reasonably reliable facts assumptions allow us to make decisions and take actions that have a good probability of working out nicely.  But the  key is having the desire and taking the time to discover the reasonably reliable facts.  The presence of skilled salesmen pushing the high end suits was discoverable. A phone call to the restaurant would have worked. And sometimes, you just have to get up off your seat and dig around for solid ground.

It seems that we are at a critical point in our history.  It is not just about who will be the next President of our country, but the rhetoric around that question is a good case study in assumptions.  So, maybe it is time to take a look at some of them in the next few days, weeks and months. 

Today is Monday, and since it is a holiday, the Monday Week in Preview Haiku staff has taken the day off. So, this will have to do . . .

Pay for one, get three
A deal too good to deny,
Know first the one price.

1 comment :

  1. I would settle for a happy meal I already got the Tee Shirt. Its a holiday so I assume it won't be too high to cut down the swamp grass tomorrow.

    PS...Nice Suit.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics