Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thurvey 5/17/2012 Faster space travel, slow earth traffic, life-giving beverages, and shrunken heads. . . .

Thurvey (Thursday survey) time.  Time once again for readers to supply valuable input on the important issues of the day, steering public policy through the shark infested waters of the ocean of our mutual existence . . . To prevent our generation from just becoming so much chum, answer the Thurvey questions of the week.

#1   Alabama's Redstone Arsenal is developing a nuclear fuel system that will cut the travel time to Mars from several months to a few weeks. (I think this is seriously cool). This development, along with the Alabama legislature's decision that all Alabama public school students must have a long summer vacation, should allow opportunities for most of us to take a Mars getaway while the kids are out of school.  Hope that doesn't hurt the Alabama beaches economy.   If you were offered a free summer trip to Mars, or a free summer on the Gulf Coast, which would you take?  Why?

#2   Speaking of trips to the beach or to Mars, when I was young, and even now, I was, and am,  a sucker for tacky souvenirs.  I think this was developed during family trips to the beach and to the mountains (but not Mars) when I was a child.  Generally, I could look but could not buy.  An unrequited passion which lingers to adulthood.  Perhaps I am alone in this secret desire, but if not, or even if you just want to make me feel as if I am not alone, tell us about your favorite tacky souvenir, bought, or just longed for.

#3  Important beverage news this week.  Brewmasters in Vermont are once again making beer from the lifeblood of their state, Maple sap.  And new studies are out proving that drinking coffee leads to a longer life. For many, beer or coffee are more than beverages, they are a source of peace, comfort, cheap therapy.  What food or drink do you lean on for more than nutrition?  Be brand specific if that is important to you.

#4   If you drive often in Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville, Oneonta, or other lesser Metro areas like Atlanta or Nashville, or points in between, perhaps you suffer from traffic rage disorder.  Too many of us are on the road at the same time trying, it appears, to get to the same places.  Any metaphorical dreams of a fast lane kind of life are hampered by the literal slow lanes that we travel in.  Where are the worst traffic nightmares?  What are the best solutions?  Be as creative as you wish.  It's not like we're going to do anything about it anyway.

#5  What charitable, religious, or civic organization would you like to promote this week. Use this space for promotion of events if you wish.

#6   What question do you want answered this week?

9 comments :

  1. Good grief, that's a lot of questions. Here goes...

    1. I would totally go to Mars! I used to want to be an astronaut when I was in preschool. Then someone told me you can die doing that, and I didn't want to anymore. Once they started making lots of successful trips to Mars, I think I would risk it.

    2. My dad went to Ecuador and brought me a backpack made out of llama fur. It had all these intricately woven designs on it. I took it to school with me all year, and my fellow middle schoolers did not think it was as cool as I did. When it got rained upon, it smelled like wet llama. I still haven't decided if it was tacky or not, but I wish I still had it!

    3. Wine, coffee, beer, chai tea... I love beverages in general.

    4. Huntsville doesn't have super bad traffic, but the roads are poorly planned. In several spots there are parallel lanes that require every car to switch places with the ones driving beside it. It's super dangerous and confusing. I think there are too many engineers in this city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go to Mars, but there's no doubt the trip would be enhanced by a Stuckey's or two along the way. I think I still have a jackelope post card from a western trek years ago. Coffee is my daily comfort, but wine with a good meal and friends is my occasional favorite. Beer, ice cold, is perfect with really good Mexican food. Coke is the perfect palate cleanser for a real cheeseburger. Any road between me and where I need to be in a hurry is where the worst traffic is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6. Your blog indicates that you are a Christian, as well as some of your readers. This is a question that I need addressed from a scriptural perspective. I don't want it answered from an attempt at tolerance or self-serving perspective. I don't want a rationalized faith answer but a scripture based Christian answer. The question concerns divorce. Because of personal experience, I am struggling with divorce especially between believers, when if ever it is acceptable and when if ever remarrying is scripturally appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of those coconut heads from Panama City. Totally cool and tacky. Wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Mars, please. Seen plenty of white sand, but not so much the interplanetary red kind.

    2. Bought a snow globe from the late "outsider" artist Howard Finster on the front porch of his Paradise Gardens in north Georgia. Back before his survivors muddled up everything.

    3. Community Coffee, dark roast. The breakfast of jittery champions.

    4. Fond memories of getting out of the car on 285 in Atlanta and sitting on the hood of the car to read the paper, knowing the traffic wouldn't be moving for a good long while.

    5. Do Dah Day is always a fun mingle for man and beast.

    6. To be asked of any state legislator—what was the last bill you read in its entirety and why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. As long as we don't have to eat the leftovers

    2. Mars, or course. Someone else will have to bring the oxygen and the vodka.

    3. Fresh ground brewed at 208 degrees coffee. I like Pikes Place.

    4. While out sniffing out a free Christmas tree to chop down I often hit a lot of traffic.

    5. Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation of Alabama

    6. What, What Not...no foundation all the way down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #6. Thanks for all the help on divorce. I guess y'all are like my wife and just think it is ok with God but have no spiritual foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mars once but the beach every summer, just for a couple of days. I get tired of it- the beach, not Mars.
    A couple of those pan flutes, made from different lengths of bamboo, bought in Bolivia.
    Coffee is a necessity but is soul food.
    Atlanta traffic is the worst, maybe the reason their housing market went down the most in the nation last year. To solve traffic problems people could move to West Alabama where there is plenty of room, such as Pickens County, and Aliceville, and live and fish on the Tombigbee; or Russelville where Senator Bedford has built a four lane highway for every family; or on second thought Atlanta people and Aliceville people would not get along well, but maybe Russellville people could.
    Pentecost Sunday at your local United Methodist Church, for a heart strangely warmed.
    What could have been different?

    ReplyDelete
  9. On divorce, God has the power to heal all hurts and forgive all people.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics