Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thurvey 1/24/2012. Bread and milk, snow, guns and the inauguration

Thursday. Survey. Thurvey. Your opportunity to express your opinion to the world about the hot topics of the week.  Simply enter your answers to any or all of the questions in the comment box below, use your own i.d. or click on anonymous and then click on publish. Include your name in your comment if you wish to be unanonymous.  If the comment box does not appear below this post, click on the little "comments" below and the box should open up.  Exercise that first amendment. Keep it strong.

#1   North Central Alabama was hit with a brief snowstorm last week.  It has become a common joke that we all rush to the supermarket for milk and bread at the first mention of frozen precipitation.  And yet, it is no joke.  We rush to the supermarket for milk and bread.  I hear the denials even now.  "I just happened to need to go to the grocery."  "I didn't just buy milk and bread, I bought some other stuff."  Why don't we change the culture?  What other two or three items should replace milk and bread as the State of Alabama official wintry weather essentials?

#2  Snow and ice this week, seventies and storms next week.  Glaciers are disappearing all over the world.  Polar bears in the Locust Fork River. Not really.  Anyway, do you believe there is any merit to the climate change hypothesis or do you believe it is an over reaction or hoax? If you feel like ranting on either side, it is encouraged.

#3  The second inauguration of President Obama is in the history books.  If you watched all or part of it, what was most memorable for you, and why?

#4   The second amendment and gun control is a hot topic. If you believe that some regulation is needed, what specifically would you recommend.  If you are opposed to any regulation of the second amendment, make your case.

#5  Specifically, following up on #4, it has been suggested that the answer to gun violence is simply arming more people, the idea being that there would be more of a chance for responsible gun owners to inhibit or stop nut cases from using their guns so easily.  Are you in favor of the proposition or against, and why?

#6  A lot has been made of Beyonce's lip sync at the inauguration this week. Of course, it was a recording of her own voice.  But, if you could sing using someone else's voice, whose voice would you steal?  Why?

#7  What question of your own would you like answered this week?


10 comments :

  1. Chips, salsa, and liquids. Hydration is important after all.
    Joe Biden and Al Roker.
    Everybody carries, unconcealed.
    Climate change is real. duh.
    Nora Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Bread and milk is fine with me. Traditional simple elegance.
    2. It's for real. Time to speculate on ocean front property in Montgomery.
    3. Didn't see it except for the funny parts on late night tv. Prez Clinton checking out whats her name.
    4. Background checks. Regulate gun show sales. Nerf bullets all around.
    5. Arm everybody. Those too quick to shoot will be weeded out quick enough.
    6. Beyonce'
    7. Have we all gone crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7 Rand Paul said if he were president, he would fire Hilary Clinton. What else would happen if Rand Paul were president?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sardines, crackers and beer.
    I would steal Rush Limbaugh's voice. And never speak again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7) Why do good things happen to bad people?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Y9UDOWgzw

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. In another place and time, the store run was for beer and toilet paper. In Blount County today, we can buy toilet paper.

    2. Planets don’t warm or cool, stars don’t explode or implode, and the only possible universe doesn’t expand or shrink. And there’s no such thing as polar bears.

    4. If all the guns were melted, they wouldn’t require regulation. I remember when Archie Bunker, discussing gun violence, asked his daughter, Gloria, “Would you feel better, little goil, if they was all throwed outta windas?” I can’t speak for Gloria, but I would feel better if the murder of masses of people required a lot of carrying of people one at a time up several flights of stairs. It seems to me that this method would be easier to stop than our current method is.

    5. Storing the innocents in one place never seemed like a good idea to me. Why stop with arming teachers? Arm students!

    6. Aaron Neville’s

    7. What do you think of the alternative vote as a replacement for our rigged two-party system?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If indeed there are polar bears in the Locust Fork River - not sure they would be found. Last I heard there was still a missing man there.

    Some obvious concerns arise with gun control. I think if the government does make it into an ammunition control issue (which I suspect) I think that is a reasonable direction to take. If our right to bear arms was constitutionalized (no, that's not really a word) for the purpose of self-protection then have a magazine or two of rounds would pretty much handle 99.9 percent of all situations we'll ever face in our lives. In my opinion we don't need everyone to have three hundred rounds of ammo stashed away for a rainy day coup`de`tat.

    As far as Rand Paul being Prez I don't think anything of much significance would take place. It's always I matter of people's perception of change that gets all the attention rather than change itself.

    Good things happen to bad people for the same reason the opposite exist. Live is made up of rainy days and those with sunshine. You learn to deal with both as time presses forward in our brief lives. We are here but for a flicker, enjoy as much as you can, and grieve as little as possible for missed opportunities.

    Glad you asked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Poker Cards and Rum

    2. I believe God created science. So if scientists say something is up, it probably is. Not sure to what extent or what we should do about it.

    3. Al Roker's exclusive first interview with the President and Vice President!

    4. I believe that every person in entitled to carry a gun; if, and only if, they can pass a test. Just a like with a driver’s license, we have to pass a test to prove we know the law, we have to pass an eye exam and then we have to pass a road test. So with guns, a written exam, a crazy in the head exam and then take them to the shooting range to make sure they don't have to use more than a couple of bullets. I feel safer knowing sane, intelligent people have the ability to protect me. However, I personally do not consider myself sane enough or intelligent enough to carry one. And I'm pretty darn intelligent...

    5. I personally do not feel safe carrying a gun. My dad always taught me that if you live by the sword, you die by the sword. I don’t feel like getting shot. I understand that me not carrying a gun, isn’t a sure fire bet that I won’t get shot. But I feel safer letting other people (the sane ones that have passed all the tests) carry the guns.

    6. Scott Avett or maybe Bob Bentley

    7. If pro is the opposite of con, then wouldn’t congress be the opposite of progress?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. chips and corn dip

    2. Man-made global warming is a joke. If I'm not mistaken, I think there have been ice ages that have come and gone before man had even started the first fire. It's a cycle. Deal with it.

    3. I couldn't have cared less about watching that crap.

    4. I'm opposed to any regulation. It is a right no matter who doesn't like it. If every single citizen in the country was opposed to it, I'd still have the RIGHT to carry/own what I want (and without a need or reason to justify it). Unlike drivers' licenses and the like, it is not a Constitutional right to be able to drive, so the STATES are left to regulate that as they see fit. Neither the federal government nor the states have the power to deny RIGHTS given by the Constitution. Why not limit someone's speech? There's no difference. Do you need to test someone to see if he is crazy before he speaks? (I wish I could by the way.)

    5. I go everywhere armed. It is ultimately my responsibility (and no one else's) to protect my family. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

    6. I don't sing even with someone else's voice. But, after seeing how my wife acts sometimes, I'd have to go with Harry Connick Jr.

    7. Why do people think the 2nd Amendment has anything to do with hunting or sport? Why do others throw in self defense? It was added into the Constitution for a completely different reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this a few weeks ago. 'Saint Paul was a good man. He was an enthusiatic supporter of God's cause. He was a weeper. It grieved him to see the dishonor of God among those he had instructed in the Word of God. Such a thing doesn't bother us. If we lose something we valued or sustain damages, then we weep from the bottom of our hearts. We can be very sorrowful at the loss of possessions. But when we hear that God is dishonored, that sexual sins are committed, or other horrible sins done, we don't shed a tear. It is clear we do not have the heart of Paul.' Hugh Latimer: Fruitful Sermons

    I guess I wonder if as Christians do/can we feel this deeply about the dishonoring of God. Have we become too tolerant? Do we rationalize too much? Do we weep over these actions by fellow Christians? Can we even weep over these actions by ourselves? Do we admit our own dishonoring of God and try to change or simply move on?

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics