Wednesday, November 12, 2008

E lectionary . ..and divine comedy

I alerted several of my preacher friends today of the Old Testament lectionary reading for this week. (Although I am quite sure all of them have finished preparing their sermons for Sunday) The reading is Judges 4. The lectionary is a schedule of scripture, most commonly planned out three years at a time, which churches may use for devotion and worship. Each week there is an old testament reading, a psalm, an epistle, and a gospel reading.

So this week's lectionary old testament reading, put on the calendar several years ago, is Judges 4. The story in this week's reading tells a story of a military leader named Barak who is sent into battle by God, through the judge of Israel at the time, Deborah, and is wildly victorious.

I have been in serious conversations with God a great deal lately. Perhaps a bit more intense than a conversation. I am thankful, and hopeful, that God is in fact slow to anger, although these Old Testament stories are a bit scary. I have demanded answers, begged for instruction, and even placed blame. . . with Him.

So, I'm doing my devotion earlier this week, which is based on the lectionary, and come across this Old Testament story about a guy named Barak. You know, if you have been paying attention, that I have been a bit pre-occupied with politics for awhile. So, when I read the obscure lectionary for this week after the election of our modern day Barack, I just had to laugh. And, while most people cannot find the humor in an old testament story of mass killing, I did, at least in the context of this moment.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that Barak was in this week's lectionary. After all, Barak is a common name in the Bible. No, not really.

God has a really dry sense of humor. Sometimes so subtle we don't notice. A few of my preacher friends responded with humor . . . and a rather unanimous decision not to use the passage as a basis for their sermons this Sunday. Bunch of chickens.

Anyway, I think God jokes around with us sometimes. Usually nothing big. I don't know, maybe I am just hoping He does.

But take for instance this past Sunday, I'm driving to Birmingham to church. I turned the radio off and was riding down Highway 75 on a perfect autumn morning. And I am mad at God. I have made repeated requests for a clear answer. Not asking God to make any changes in anything, I just wanted to know what He thought. I often do this out loud, especially if I am in my car. And I was getting louder and louder. "All I want is an answer . . . is that asking too much?"

Giving up, and with the emotion that one hangs up a phone, back when we all had phones you could slam down when you hung up, I quickly turned the radio back on.

Garrison Keillor of Prairie Home Companion was singing an old Beatles' song . . ."there will be an answer, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be, there will be an answer, let it be . . ." Space and propriety prevent me from telling you how profound and how outrageously funny the moment was. But take it from me, it was. I laughed till I cried.

Sometimes I get too serious. If God takes time to lighten up, maybe I should join in.

Horse walks into a bar, bartender says, "Why the long face . . ."

1 comment :

  1. Oh, those moments. God and Garrison, Barack and Barak. What a life it is we have embarked on.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics