Sunday, November 2, 2008

The future of the free world? I just wanted to get away a couple of days . . .

For a political junkie it has been a perfect day.






I drove across the bridge to the University of Cincinnati College of Law first thing this afternoon to be trained to be a legal observer for polls here in Hamilton County. As it turns out, the whole election turns on what happens in Hamilton County, Ohio. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1855354,00.html They told us that right up front. I began to feel a bit of pressure as the class went on . . . and on . . . and on. We were meeting in one of the large lecture rooms similar to those we have at the Alobama School of Law. So the pressure felt natural. Not good, but natural.


I am proud to be a lawyer. Lawyers do important things, hard things, and not always for the money. The lecture hall was filled to capacity, and those in attendance were clearly serious about their duties. Sometimes that resulted in someone asking those questions that are just asked for the sake of being asked. That sort of reminded me of college too. One of my pet peeves is when people, usually sitting up toward the front, ask questions just to be asking a question. The kind of question that had already been answered or could be learned from reading the information that was emailed out or the website. The meeting was plenty long enough. But in the big scheme of things, it was a small matter. There was a semester's worth of information given out in four hours. The meeting ended with handing out our polling place assignments. I have mine. I will find it tomorrow. It is in an urban area right here in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, key to the future of the whole free world Ohio. Ohio just makes it too hard to vote. Complex ID requirements, precinct identification problems, and too few machines to handle the load will result in long, long lines and the possibility that voters will give up rather than stand in line for hours. Those are the main things I am supposed to deal with. I hope I don't screw anything up.
One of my new friends to my right asked if I were going to the Obama rally. I said yes, despite the fact that I had no idea what she was talking about. I was walking onto the street with two guys from California. They were more clueless than I was. But we found a freshman wandering by. He knew about the rally and when it was supposed to start, but he wasn't sure where the football stadium was. I knew I was not in Alabama anymore. We, the California guys and I, decided it would make more sense to hang around until the rally rather than go back to our motels. We parted company as we parked in different locations and had to put our polling materials in our cars.
I figured it would be my only chance to see Obama in person so I grabbed a quick Pannini and set out to find the football stadium. As I finally found the right entrance to the stadium I almost gave up. The line was long. Real long. I thought about how some of the voters will feel on election day. But I got in line. When you spend four hours or so in line with people you can form some good, however temporary, relationships. As it turns out I was standing in line with three other lawyers and a first year law student. By the time we got into the event we had shared how perilous the practice of law can be to one's health, and it got pretty personal. I was careful to try to encourage the first year law student, bless her heart.

Then along about the third hour we were getting close to the security folks, and one of the other lawyers, his girlfriend and I were chosen to sit in the stands right behind Obama. We were directed to go all the way down to the field and into the bleachers immediately behind the stage. The atmosphere was energizing. It was also great fun. After hearing briefly from Ohio Democratic candidates, Obama made his appearance. His talk was the same closing argument as he has been making for a week or so. But, I am glad I got to see him close up. He is truly something special.










Of course I texted a few people to tell them I was right behind Obama. I'm not sure they understood that I was right behind Obama. But, thanks to Benjamin, I have a little proof. The video of the speech is on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgHv0n7LLM
You will find my head to the left of Obama's right elbow.
Then, amazingly, Obama stepped down off the stage and walked out along the fence at ground level, just a few feet from where I was sitting. I hate that he looked goofy when I snapped the shot, but, none of us can look good all the time. He may be just be an extremely gifted politician, but dang, he seems like a genuinely friendly, nice guy.







More later.

1 comment :

Real Time Analytics