Monday, March 23, 2009

I hear voices . . .

I texted a friend Saturday, thinking I would create a bit of envy, saying that I was putting the top down on the golden Sebring and taking a ride in the beautiful spring day to Sumatanga. I made it sound like it was just going to be a pleasure trip, spending the afternoon riding the backroads of Greasy Cove and Chandler mountain. It was so inviting I made myself envious, and I was the one going.


The simple text immediately came back. "I hope you have new sunscreen."


I smiled as I read the text, because only minutes before, as I had put the top down and headed up highway 75 to town, I heard this same friend's voice in my head, "If you don't put on sunscreen, don't expect any sympathy from me when you die of skin cancer." So I had stopped at CVS and bought some and smeared it on my forehead.

I love those voices. Little mental recordings from friends who care enough to tell you the truth, or who know you well enough to know your weaknesses. "You're not texting this while you drive, are you?" "Remember to eat something." "You didn't cancel that doctor's appointment, did you?" "Adults shouldn't be on facebook, it's just weird." "If you're not happy doing what you do, remember, it's your choice." "You worry too much about things that aren't important."

So yeah, I hear voices, My head is full of them. I don't know how I would get along without them.

.

1 comment :

  1. "Adults shouldn't be on facebook. It's just weird." I wonder what insightful social observer gave you that pearl of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics