Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring forward . . .

Saturday morning. Coffee. Sofa.

I slept late this morning after not being able to get to sleep last night. That happens after an intense week, which seemed heightened by the contrast between the courtroom atmosphere of this week versus the wonder of the Latvia/Lithuania Chrysalis trip of last week.

You have probably had similar weeks; not necessarily bad, just intense. My brain suffered from one of the laws of thermodynamics. An object in motion tends to remain in motion. Or if you could picture a hamster in a cage continuing to run in my brain that would probably be more accurate. My brain needs some maintenance today. Clean out the cookies, temporary files, defrag the memory, remove virus and spyware (for those of you who use your computer but never worry about maintenance, this was a clever computer maintenance metaphor).

So today I am going to do some spring cleaning, not in my brain but in my carport and beyond. That is a function I can do while my brain reboots.

I will have to get rid of some stuff. And I notice as I start that even Mother Nature is against me. There are piles of leaves and fallen branches in my yard and even in drifts in my carport. I confess blame in this for failing to rake leaves and haul branches last fall, but I just wasn't in the mood. So now I must uncover the stuff on my carport before I throw it away.

It is funny. I passed this pile of crap every day for the past few months as I got in and out of the car. I never noticed how it was growing. Occasionally I thought that I should get around to doing something about it, but other things were more important.

So after stopping to look at the problem this morning, I realize that the clean-up will be a formidable task.

But just as Mother Nature added to the problem, she has given me inspiration today. Delicate green leaves unfurling from their buds, green blades of grass and weeds waking up and stretching their arms, straining to reach the sunlight, azaleas, yellow-bell, dogwood and pear trees hanging a rainbow of decorations to greet the vernal season. A beautiful, sunny spring day with life exploding in color all around.

Quite a contrast to the piles of brown, dead leaves and limbs I am about to remove.

So I too must get to work. Perhaps I will uncover something new, waiting to come to life.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics