Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thurvey

Time for the Thurvey. The world wants to read your commentary. Just click on "comment" below, type your thoughts in the box, click anonymous, and click publish. Add your name to the comment if you want to be known.

What is morality? What is your own personal basis for your sense of morality?

For instance, if I am a Christian, I am commanded to love and serve all without exception. But I accept arbitrary international boundaries between countries that define how people are treated. So some of my basis for morality may not be from my faith.

I imagine folks of other faiths and those who claim no faith at all suffer from similar inconsistencies.

Similar issues arise about health, poverty, war and peace, and many more.

Yes, I know it is kind of deep and perhaps obtuse. But give it a whirl.

2 comments :

  1. Three provocative quotes from random parts of the literary universe:

    "Morality is the herd instict in the individual"---Friedrich Nietzsche

    We have two kinds of morality side by side; one which we preach but do not practice and another which we practice but seldom preach."---Bertrand Russell

    I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after."---Ernest Hemingway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I get my ideas about morality from a combination of my religious beliefs, social norms, and my upbringing (which is almost the same as religious beliefs in my case). But I think there is an innate sense of morality that is in us all. Whether we follow that inner morality is our decision.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics