Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lots of serious stuff to cover, but not now, I had a good morning . . .

I was in Birmingham for a court hearing this week. It was a beautiful early summer morning.

Opposing counsel and I were standing in front of the judge who inquired about a particular trial date. My colleague said he wasn't sure. The judge smiled and looked at him and said, "Well how can you become sure?" The young attorney said, "I don't know whether it is a Jewish holiday or not." The judge replied, "I'll be glad to work around it, but I don't know whether it is a Jewish holiday, I am not a Jew, but I assume you are." My colleague said, "I'll have to check with my wife, she is the one who keeps up with these things." The judge graciously said he would be glad to make an adjustment in the date if the wife requested. As we walked out of the courtroom the young attorney complimented me on my tie and sportcoat. Apparently civility in the legal system is not dead.

I took a little time to take a walk. I am one who likes downtown Birmingham. I walked by the First United Methodist Church. There was a lady in the exterior doorway of the church office. She had a broom and was intently cleaning the porch. I was curious about what seemed to be a bit of overkill when it came to sweeping a small stone porch. I don't know why, but I walked through the iron fence gate to see what she was doing. Seeing my curiosity, she began to laugh and pointed upward. Not toward heaven, but toward the light fixture on the porch ceiling. There was a bird sitting on a nest atop the fixture.

"I'm trying to clean up after them every day, otherwise it's just too big a mess. They nested here the last few years."

She was smiling and laughing as she explained. No complaints. No suggestions that there were any other choices in the matter. That was where the birds wanted to nest and she was happy to clean up after them. I chatted with her a few more seconds and wished her a good rest of the day. I've got an idea she did have a good rest of the day. As did the birds.

Then I walked over to the Harbert Plaza. O'Henry's has a downtown location there, and a latte was calling my name. I was still smiling about the young Jewish attorney, the bird clean-up person, the cool air, and the sunny day.

As I entered the Harbert Plaza I began to whistle. The acoustics created by the polished stone walls, floors and high ceilings are perfect for whistling. I didn't realize I was whistling. It just comes naturally, especially in such a perfect setting. A woman passed by me and then I heard her say something. I turned toward her.

"It has been a long time since I heard someone whistle like that," she said.

"I don't know whether that is good or bad, but I really didn't realize I was whistling," I responded, still not sure how she felt about my lip music.

"Oh it is good, it is very good," she said, smiling.

"Well thank-you," I said, as we walked on by each other. I didn't whistle anymore, feeling a bit self conscious.

But I was happy.

.

1 comment :

  1. This post just makes me smile. I felt like I was trotting right along with you. I've heard you whistle, and yes you are pretty good at it.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics