Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday. Caws to Paws.

Saturday. Sofa. Coffee.

I need to write swiftly this morning. There are many projects to do today and I must get down to studying which projects I will make plans to begin to finish. And I must get prepared to do that.

I do not have a pet.  It's not that I don't love dogs and cats and animals of all stripes.  It's just that I am not ready for the responsibility.

But occasionally, up here in the sub-suburban outskirts of the Oneonta metroplex, a pet will find me.  There is this cat.

He, or she, is a beautiful cat, sporting a herring bone black and grey suit with a classy brilliant white shirt, exposed from the neck to the chest, and then at the cuff,  not out of pretension, but simply good, traditional taste.  Cat does not need anyone for self-affirmation, and prefers his own company to being with someone just for the sake of appearances.  He stands at the edge of the woods, watching.  Sometimes, early in the morning or late in the evening, if I open the kitchen door, he is sitting in the carport.  But, as soon as it appears that I may be trying to move close, he runs away.

I take this as a challenge.  I want to be in Cat's inner circle.  I need his affirmation. I imagine that's the way he likes it.

So I bought some cat food.

Not wanting to be too pushy, I put the cat food on the sidewalk on the side of the house that is close to Cat's observation post, outside the carport, away from the doors.  I have seen Cat sampling the food a couple of times.  Ah yes, my invitation to Cat's next party is surely being prepared.

But something happened this morning that has given me paws.

A caws to be concerned.

Crows.

Crows were grazing at Cat's breakfast buffet this morning, like  sandals-with-socks tourists at the Holiday Inn Express free breakfast bar pondering how to work the Belgian waffle machine. I opened the door. They didn't leave.  They just looked at me as if I had forgotten to put out silverware.

So now I have a reclusive Cat and bodacious Crows.

My yard is full of attitude.

But, that's just the way Cats and Crows are.

But they still gotta eat.  And I still like to have them around.  As long as they don't start messing with my tomatoes and squash.  But that's another story.


.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics