Monday, June 4, 2012

Week in Preview Haiku and a story. . . .

Week in Preview Haiku 6/4/2012

Wisconsin, Same-sex,
Survival of the Union,
A house divided.


I've decided to do only one haiku per week, unless I do more. The rest of the post will have nothing to do with the haiku.

I was watching a relay race the other day.  One team fell farther behind with each leg.  By the time the third runner placed the baton in the hand of the anchor man, the team was a half lap behind.  The anchor man took the baton and immediately began to gain ground, but try as hard as he could, he was still a quarter lap behind when the winner crossed the finish line.

As the anchor  walked back to the rest of the team he was shocked by what they said to him.  "You were horrible," his team mates said.  "We lost by a quarter lap.  You were the anchor man. You were the one with the baton at the end of the race."

"I gained a quarter lap against their anchor. He was their fastest runner," the anchor retorted.   I wish I could have made it all up, but no one on earth could run that fast. We were so far behind when I got the baton I would have had to break the world record by a few  seconds to catch up. But I did catch up a lot. Came back from last place to third."

"We don't want to hear your excuses," said his teammates.  "You had the baton when the race was over. You let us lose by a quarter of a lap. We gotta find someone to replace you."

And they did. Someone who ran just like they did. Now they lose every race by even more.

Kinda weird being there for all that.

.

.



.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics