Saturday, August 16, 2008

Spanning the globe . . .

Saturday morning. Coffee. USA vs. Spain in basketball. It just does not get better than this.

Except that it does. I had my own little international moment this morning. Thanks to Skype I had coffee and conversation with a bunch of friends who gathered in Birzai, Lithuania, and one who gathered in Birmingham. It started as a video conference. I am sure that was pretty frightening for my Baltic friends. It was 7:00 a.m. here, 3:00 p.m.there. I don't normally expose my Saturday a.m. look to anyone, much less go international. But they were charitable.

We had business to discuss about Chrysalis in the Baltics. Exciting stuff. Those young people are doing amazing work. But at the end of the conference was one of those unexpected moments, a Kairos moment. It was initiated by Patrick Friday, who is gifted in such things. He suggested we all sing a few songs. At first we all just laughed. Then it became clear that Patrick was going to make us sing. So we did. Tentatively at first. "From the rising of the sun . . ." Then "Jesus, Jesus, can I tell you how I feel . . .", then "Spirit of the Living God . . ." then "Give Thanks, with a grateful heart . . ." We all sang. From opposite sides of the Atlantic. Then we prayed. Each of us in our own language.

Man, I love Saturday morning.

2 comments :

  1. Peaceful Saturday A.M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you watch the ball game? I am pretty sure that doesn't get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics