Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bob Denver report

It is Saturday morning again. I'm still in Denver. But, I've got my coffee, sun is coming in the window, I'm flipping channels between ESPN Gameday (Bama v.Clemson) and MSNBC (politics fix). Saturday transcends geography.

A few other observations from the convention.


I was bummed about the whole credential mix-up thing between Obama's people and mine,but, after driving by the stadium about four hours before the event, and then eating with Benjamin and Kate at a nice sushi bar, I was fine with the outcome.

The convention ended late Thursday night. The excitement of the convention that had filled the streets of Denver for four days came to a celebratory end. Seriously. The people who came to this convention are motivated people. Democrats have not acted like this for awhile. No apologies, no hedging. Confident. Committed. Energized.
But Denver was returning to normal by Friday morning. And the streets were so clean. Benjamin wouldn't let me go dumpster diving for souvenirs, but I don't think there was any trash in the dumpsters anyway. I don't know how they did that, but somebody stayed up late recycling. Seriously. They do things like this very well.

A secondary source of fun for me, other than the politics, was eating breakfast a couple of days at Sams 3, a downtown cafe, where MSNBC was broadcasting Morning Joe and some other shows. Friday morning we went to breakfast there, and they were obviously in a dither. McCain had been jerking them around for 24 hours on his VP nomination. Joe Scarboro was agitated because, being the Republican that he is, he wanted to push the story. It was walking all over the follow-up stories to Obama's acceptance speech, which Mika wanted to cover. They were all testy.

Anyway, it was kind of cool. We saw Pat Buchanan. He was wearing European style glasses. You know, black rims, almost old-style punk. It was a little disturbing. But I think he was under severe strain as he left. First, he had already declared Obama's acceptance speech to be the best he had ever heard. Then the news came that McCain had chosen Palin as his VP. Pat had spent a few minutes in mental contortion trying to say why that was a good choice. I think he left to try to find out what the heck was going on.

Then we saw the governor of Montana who had added a little flair to the convention with his speech. This guy is Montana. He had on jeans, a belt with a big silver cowboy buckle, and a blue shirt. He was just hanging out, watching the TV's like the rest of us, trying to figure McCain's thought process out on the VP selection. Mike Murphy was also there hanging out. (A conservative pundit) He seemed flummoxed, as he just sat at a table looking at the other networks programming. The main characters were on the little set located in a small section of the cafe. The whole process looked much more frenetic than it does on television, although I think that whole McCain/Palin thing made it so. It was cool to be there, at least for me the political news show junkie that I am.




The rest of the day Benjamin took me on a ride to Breckenridge. This is a pretty cool place.


A pretty, cool, place. I think I'll come back.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics