Sunday, December 28, 2008

Cringeberry dressing . . .

What does it mean when you cringe when a particular passage from the Bible is read? Reluctantly I believe that it means something is hitting home that needs to be dealt with. It is not that unusual, then, for me to cringe during the reading of the gospel. I may give you a lift if you're going my way, but I haven't had much time to go the extra mile lately, and while I may pencil in a friend for a lunch appointment, laying down my whole life seems really impractical. And love those who don't love me? It's cringe time.

But Corinthians 13, the love chapter? That shouldn't bring a cringe. It is so beautiful, read at weddings and other joyful occasions. And it is pretty wonderful when you're the one being loved. But when you're the lover, it's a tough standard, worthy of many cringes.

God so loved the world, unconditionally. He calls us to do the same. To love without expectation. To love anyway. To love even our enemies and those who wish to do us harm. So be careful if you are one of those praying for the U.S.A. to become a Christian nation called to love the world unconditionally. We may have to make quite a few changes, radical changes. Hard changes.

But it's just as tough, maybe even tougher, to offer that kind of love in human relationship. To love without expectation. Without jealousy. Wanting only what is best for the one loved, even if that is contrary, wildly contrary, to my own desire. And not insisting on my own way. Who can love like that?

God can. And my cringing tells me that he wants me to try. But it is so hard.

But the good news comes at the end of all that "love is" stuff. Real love, the kind described in Corinthians 13, never ends. And that's what I'm counting on.

.

1 comment :

  1. I often cringe when I think of how my "love" falls so short of such a standard.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics