Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Don't look back . . look what happened to Lot's wife.

Something profound is called for on the last day of the year, isn't it? Should we not pause on the path we are on in this moment designed for reflection by the people who originally made calendars , turn around, and look back?

Crap no. No end of the year message from me. I've got a blindfold for the backward looking Janus (I mean his face is looking toward the past, not that he looks "backward." I don't know how sophisticated Janus was or was not). I want to forget this year if possible. I would even like to go ahead and skip the first six months of 2009 if that could be worked out. I can hear all those voices from my past and probably some of you saying, "You shouldn't be wishing your life away like that." Well tough toenails, which should only be cut out on the back porch, by the way. I am tired of keeping a stiff upper lip, putting on a happy face, trying to make lemonade out of rotten lemons, straining for the open window when a door closed was so perfectly open, unless it's to jump out.

So nothing deep today. Staying in the shallow end. Where it's safe.

I'm chronicling from O'henry's at this moment, one of my favorite places as I have previously posted. I had my latte in a real mug today, knowing I would be writing this timeless piece while I am here. So I'm feeling rather smug about the mug at this moment. Going green bigtime.

Speaking of going green, which reminds me of Cindy, my niece and friend, I am in the third day of feeding and medicating her cats. I must say, so far, Cindy's description of the orneriness of her sweet pets has not been borne out in their actions. So far they just seem glad to have me around, a very welcome response. And I am glad to see them.

I went to the wrong party again last night. Didn't really get as far into it as I did last May for one of Kate and Benjamin's pre-wedding parties (look it up if you want, posted in early may I think). But I did get in the door. Everybody was friendly.

I also learned that I am not particularly good at playing Apple to Apple. Not at the wrong party, but at the right one. But, the lesson learned sort of sums up the past year for me, at least in the sad mood I'm in today. You just gotta play with the cards that someone else gets to deal, which sometimes make no sense. There's no place for John Wayne in a satin and lace world.(you just have to know the game) And sometimes that means I don't get to keep the precious green card.

Be safe. After all, tomorrow is another year.

.

1 comment :

  1. Isn't John Wayne always the right answer? Your picker was just wrong about that.:-) Know that I am thankful for the people in my life who stick out and "don't fit." They push me outside of my comfort zone and make me see different sides of the world. Thanks!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics