Saturday, December 27, 2008

The gospel of luke . . .

I was standing in the driveway of my parents' house yesterday greeting folks as they arrived at the Bentley family Christmas gathering. Luke V, Luke and Amy's son, who is four, I think, was walking up the driveway with his dad. I don't know what precipitated it, but he yelled out to me, "Do you remember me?" Luke V is pretty unforgettable, so I had no trouble remembering who he was, if not his exact age. I yelled back, "Of course I do, I could never forget somebody like you." He was wearing a cool shirt with a moose or a deer or reindeer head on the front. I told him that I wanted one just like it. He then showed me the back of it and said, "Yes, and it's got it's butt on the back." He turned to show me. He was right, it did. Even cooler.

"You look great in that shirt," I told him.
"And you look handsome today, too," he told right back at me.

I was reminded tonight by another friend that we each are like jeweled crowns in the hand of God, according to Isaiah. You know the one in the Bible.

But sometimes we need someone to speak it out loud. You're handsome. I could never forget someone like you. You are special. You've got a beautiful voice. You are the best, friend. You are so smart. You've got something special. You got a double portion of talent.

Make your own list and use it on whoever you meet.

We spend so much time trying to be better than we are. And that's not a bad thing. But we don't have to do anything to earn God's love, or the love of real friends.

But the world tells us not to believe it. It doesn't always take big things to change the world. Just something like, "You look handsome today." Help someone remember who they really are. Start right now. I know you can. You're so smart and know just what to say.

.

2 comments :

  1. You are handsome Bob. Little Luke is V though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are right. about the luke part. it is corrected.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics