Sunday, November 13, 2011

I don't want to see that . . .put something on

I wonder what it is that I see or know but refuse to acknowledge.

I would like to be a writer, but sometimes it seems like the good stuff has already been written. And for the purposes of this post, Hans Christian Andersen wrote the perfect fairy tale way back in 1837, The Emperor's New Clothes. You may remember it from school, or even from childhood storybooks, but I invite you to click on the link and read the translated story once again.

I have referred to the short story in a previous post, as have many others.

It is often difficult these days to find the facts we need to know for an informed opinion. Issues are so big, or so technical, or so obfuscated by those who might suffer loss from the discovery of underlying facts that it requires more time and energy than most of us have to find the truth.

On the other hand, we often choose to ignore the facts.

Herman Cain settled two sexual harrassment cases for around eighty thousand dollars. That is not an unfounded allegation. It is a fact.

Voter fraud in the United States is not a problem. In more than five years, the Bush administration, using the full force of its Department of Justice, aggressively investigated the "problem." Less than 100 people were successfully prosecuted nationwide during the five year investigation. Republicans have insisted on and enacted voter identification laws to address that massive fraud.

The Obama administration has been far tougher on illegal immigration than its Republican predecessor, deporting almost 400,000 illegal immigrants in each of the last two fiscal years, more than his Republican predecessor.

There are a lot more examples I can see. It makes me wonder what is going on that I refuse to see.

It's an important exercise.

Because Herman Cain could be elected president despite being a multiple sexual harassment offender.

And hundreds of thousands of elderly and poor citizens who have voted in the past may be effectively disenfranchised for no good reason.

And Republican states like Alabama pass draconian (not to mention ridiculous) legislation based on the assertion that the federal government is not enforcing the immigration laws.

I have good friends who question my liberal, Democratic ways. Most of the time I argue with them. Okay, I admit that I will continue to do that.

But I think I'll try to listen more.

Cause it is possible that I am missing something. I think we all must have our blind spots. You can let me know by commenting.

But I'm going to cut us all some slack. Let's face it. Looking at the naked emperor can be an ugly, and embarrassing sight. It is natural to want to cover up an ugly truth.

So I guess that's why we dress him in our minds, in something more tasteful.

..




1 comment :

  1. Cain has been cleared of all the charges. Just look who is the woman's mouth piece, Allred. You really need to do your homework better. You don't like him because you can't play the race card against him. As far as illegals I fully support our new law. It gave my son a much better job after 5 didn't show up for work. How can you sit by and support these criminals? Try going to one of their countries without papers and see where that gets you. Liberals are working to destroy our Constitution at all costs. I do not and guess I never will understand why you think our country is so bad. It has given you a great place to live. I'm posting as anonymous because I don't have an account to sign in with, but I never post without my name signed to my writings. James Snyder

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics