Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Thurvey, 11/24/2011

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you spend part of the day giving thanks. To whomever blesses you, be it your God, family, friends, country, boss, employee, church, preacher . . .
Because being aware of how you are blessed is only half of thanksgiving. It is just as important to remember who blesses your life. For instance, I am thankful that I get to write random thoughts on the One Day at a Time blog. But I am thankful to you who indulge me by reading what I write. It would not be nearly so much fun without you.

Thanksgiving is always on Thursday, so, the Thanksgiving Thurvey should become a tradition, but we'll have to wait a couple of years and see if it achieves the status of turkey, cramberries (yes I know I mispelled it, I just like to do that), football and naps. Ironically those traditions are what may prevent the Thurvey tradition, as I tend to get lazier and lazier as Thanksgiving Day progresses. I was up early cooking collards today though, so here we go.

If you wish to respond to any of the questions, just type your comment in the comment box below, type your name at the end of your comment if you wish to be known, don't if you don't, click on anonymous and then click on publish. If the comment box does not appear below, click on the tiny "comments" below this post. Now to the Thanksgiving Thurvey 2011 questions:

1. In the last post I remembered Julie Andrews as Maria in the Sound of Music, singing about "favorite things." We all have favorite things that help us get over the dog bites and bee stings of life. A simple cup of coffee sipped (okay, truthfully, I am not really a sipper), music, a good Alabama basketball game, a meal with my sons, a walk in the woods, or time with my favorite pastoral counselor are salve for my bites and stings. So what about you? What are the simple things that heal your heart or soothe your soul?

2. Who should you thank today? Many of you will naturally say God, which I believe as well. Sadly this year two members of the legendary class of '73 OHS passed away. As I was standing with other classmates at the funeral home I felt regret that I never told either one of these special characters how much I appreciated their lifelong friendship. Express your thoughts on being thankful to God if you wish, but, consider what humans you should thank as well.

3. I love words. I love music. And I simply cannot comprehend how some people can use paint or clay to create beautiful things. Creative people who share their gifts change the world with inspiration, insight, comfort, criticism, and beauty. I cried when I read Daniel Clem's post on facebook this morning. Who'd a thought it? Another example, Neil Diamond is singing right now in the middle of the Macy's Parade. You laugh. But how much joy does the world still receive by joining together in stadiums and coliseums and singing "Sweet Caroline . . . bom,bom,bom . . .What author, musician, or other artist are you thankful for in your life? Why?

4. For some reason there is always a football thrown in the yard somewhere between the initial stuffing and the sofa collapse. What are your favorite Thanksgiving traditions? (Including after the foodfest)

5. I like food, so there is not much that I won't eat. On the other hand, there is always that awkward moment when you are asked the question, "How did you like my beet salad?" Or "would you like another serving of tomato aspic?" Feel free to substitute a dish that wasn't your favorite. What is your favorite Thanksgiving menu? Which traditional Thanksgiving menu item would you just as soon be left out?

7. One of my childhood memories is a little poem that went something like "on thanksgiving day, on thanksgiving day, if you want to be happy, give something away." What blessing do you have that you wish you could share with the rest of the world?

8. Anything else?

Thanks, from a grateful heart.

bob

2 comments :

  1. 1.A good game of scrabble or trivia pursuit with the kids, the first cup of coffee and conversation in the morning. Turning off hwy 75 and driving up the drive to mom & dad's.
    2. God.
    3. Bobber
    4. Sitting around the table talking.
    5.
    7 All the food we ate today/
    you left out a number six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Talking with a close friend, reading, camping, listening to the silence...
    2. I should thank those who give me the benefit of the doubt when I do or say something amiss...
    3. Philip Yancey, C.S. Lewis, Jeffrey Archer, John Grisham, Susanna Kearsley, Michael Buble, Santana, The Beatles (early stuff) because they each made me feel better, look better, or think better...
    4. Everyone being together, holding hands around the table and giving God thanks...
    5. As unAmerican as this is, I must confess that I can do without the turkey...
    7. Knowing where my next meal is coming from & knowing that I have a safe place to live...
    8. No, that's it...

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics