Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thurvey for November 17, 2011

Time once again for the Thurvey, that is the Thursday Survey, a chance for you to let your opinion, or your brilliance, ideally both, be displayed and scattered across the Internet universe. If you wish to respond to any or all of the questions posed, or just free-skate, type your comment in the comment box below, click on anonymous from the drop down list, and click publish. If the comment box is not visible, click on the little "comments" below the post and it should appear. Type your name in your post if you wish to be unanonymous.

1. The "Occupy" movement is in the news. It is a variation, or expansion, of the sixties,"sit-in," in which peaceful protests are held by occupying spaces normally occupied by the persons and institutions being protested. This one began with Occupy Wall Street in New York City. In your life, if you could choose anywhere in the world to occupy, where would it be, and why?

2. Alabama Congressman Spencer Bankus (attribution to Courtney Hayden, read his stuff in Weld) got a big shout-out on CBS 60 minutes last Sunday. He was one of most Congressmen who take advantage of what amounts to legalized insider trading, just for Congressmen. (Today he scheduled a hearing to investigate it. A bit drafty what with the barn door just now being closed) By law (wonder who passed that) it is legal for Congressmen to use non-public information gained from their jobs as Congressmen to buy or sell stock based on that non-public information before it becomes public. That kind of behavior might land you in prison if you are in the private sector. Ask Martha Stewart. Or don't. I've heard she's not nearly so friendly off camera. She might make a Thanksgiving centerpiece out of you . . . Anyway, since Congress has set the precedent, what criminal law would like to be able to violate with impunity? Or if you'd rather, just rant about how crappy this is.

3. Is it too early to buy final four tickets to watch Bama play some hoops in March?

4. What is your favorite R.E.M. song? They are calling it quits after a short run of 30 plus years and selling about 85 millions albums. Slackers. If you need help recalling their songs, click here.
Or if you don't know anything about the band, describe your most memorable dream.

5. Pretend that you had been foolish enough to get elected President of the U. S. in 2008. What would you have done to address the freefalling economy?

6. Huddle House, Waffle House, or IHOP? Why?

7. What question of your own do you want answered this week?


9 comments :

  1. 2. Read the article in yesterday's paper where he said he didn't buy any financial stocks because that was the committee he had inside information on. Don't know if that's true or not but I suppose someone will check into it.
    6. Waffle/Huddle House seem the same to me and have bad memories for me (something about disappearing with a boyfriend for a few days, parents finding me, dragging me to Huddle/Waffle House to discuss it.) Plus IHOP has really cool, wonderful pancakes and crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Al. state legislature
    3.Yes
    6. IHOP-There are not as many of them so that makes them more special, not to mention their omelets are better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Bob! It's Terri again. I think that you are afraid to answer your own questions so you have given your readers free reign! lol. I know better so I chose to answer #4...My favorite REM song is "Losing My Religion". I think that song aptly embraces how I have felt this last year toward a denomination that seeks membership and money over relationships with Jesus Christ. We have to quit trying to get people to join our church and instead try to direct them to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ! God isn't concerned with denominations...it's all about faith in Jesus! I'm blessed to have lost my religion and gained faith in God through Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those who don't know REM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw&ob=av2e

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I can't occupy, I have to work for a living and then go home and enjoy my family for a little while before getting up and doing it all over again.

    2. Maybe I could just say I'm an illegal alien, excuse me, undocumented person, and violate most any law and just get a slap on the wrist and walk free.

    3. Who's the "Final Four"? Do they open for R.E.M.?

    4. It's the End of the World As We Know It
    (They do sing that, don't they?)

    5. Get rid of Baselined budgeting. Drastically cut spending. I'd implement the Fair Tax or something similar and get rid of the current income tax structure and abolish the IRS. As bad as it seemed to be in 2008, I'd have not pushed it on over the edge into freefall by doing things that have, historically, been proven to fail.

    6. I like'em all. I'm a health food nut.

    7. Would someone please hire that excellent coach, Ted Roof? I'd hate to see him go...he is such a great defensive mind, but I'm tired of a D that good. It's time to give the other teams a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IHOP - without a doubt. Waffle House & Huddle House are essentially the same to me. While I do enjoy a warm waffle and a good huddle...nothing replaces the rooty tooty fresh and fruity from the IHOPS.

    Have a pancake breakfast on Wall Street and jam out to a little "Everybody Hurts" (live) and I think we'd all get along just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nightswimming

    Terri is so right. Every week you share with us your feelings and personal opinions right here for all the world to criticize, but you are obviously very afraid to answer your own question, so tell me Bob, what is your favorite REM song (if your not to scared to put it out there)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Country Feedback is also a pretty good REM tune!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks son, for the encouragement to take a risk, although I am not sure I am up to it. My sentimental favorite it Losing My Religion, as it reminds me of riding in the car with my two sons, with Vann and I usually singing loudly, perhaps making up different lyrics, while you got mad, although that was more often the case with Counting Crows "long december" or Deep Blue Something's Breakfast at Hardee's.
    I like The End of the World, but The One I Love may be my favorite.
    Okay, maybe I can't do it.

    Bob B

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics