Saturday, January 7, 2012

I wouldn't read this one, but I had to cause I wrote it . . .

I have a cold.  My strategy for fighting a cold is denial, which proved quite effective for most of the week, until Friday afternoon, just in time for me to lie down on the sofa for the weekend.

So, I have been sneezing all week.  Personally, I enjoy a good sneeze. It is quite a physical release if you are willing to give in to it. I realize, however that sneezing is an intensely personal thing.  Some have a more Victorian attitude about it than I, suppressing the sneeze as if it were something shameful.  I often worry that those who suppress the sneeze will blow up their head somehow.  I have heard that a sneeze exits the mouth at speeds of around 100 mph.  Where does that Category 2 hurricane force go when the sneezer clamps his mouth shut?  Through the sinuses up into the brain I suspect.  FEMA can't help with that damage.

  So don't squeeze the sneeze.

This has been a public service announcement of One Day at a Time.

I am watching the Republican Presidential Candidates debate in hopes of being inspired to write about something.

I suppose this sneeze issue may deserve a closer look.

I believe that I have a right to a full throated, body-wrenching, eye-watering explosion of a sneeze, including the traditional and culturally accepted expression of the sneeze, "ah-choo."   That is what a sneeze is.  Not this politically correct respiratory implosion resulting in popping eardrums and potential storm damage of the brain.  So I was hurt this week when people looked at me with disdain muttering epithets regarding my thoughtlessness as I let a couple of thunderous sneezes go. These are the same people that stifle their sneezes, catching anything that might escape their respiratory system in the crook of their elbow and the sleeve of whatever garment they are wearing. I can't imagine the bio-hazard nightmare that grows in those elbow bends. And yet, these snotty sleeved people are looking down on me for sneezing the way people have been sneezing for generations.  It's just crazy.

They act like they own the air or something.

Don't let them take this basic right, this way of life away . . .

Don't squeeze the sneeze.

I'll do better tomorrow.  Or Monday.

.

3 comments :

  1. I've squeezed the sneeze for decades. I wonder if my brain looks like disaster areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You realize you started off the new year with a blog such as this? Must say I am a little disappointed.Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of saying "Ah-Choo", my Uncle Gene would say "Pepsi-Cola." Try it some time. It's harder than it sounds...

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics