Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thurvey 1/26/2012

Thursday has rushed upon us once again, and with it the Thurvey (Thursday survey).  I would like to ask who it is that keeps passing these cold germs my way, but that won't be a Thurvey question. You may confess if you are the culprit.  Excellent commentation from last week's Thurvey convinced the Thurvey staff writers that fewer questions must be better, so less is more will continue.  Many of you may get tired of reading the instructions on how to comment each week, because it may be as natural as splenda to you by now, but, there are still millions of cyber-introverts who are intimidated by sharing their thoughts, and lean on the exaggerated complexities of posting a comment to avoid expressing their views. (Obviously not facebook users)  Who knows, they may be hiding the secret to world peace. So bear with me. If you wish to comment, type your comment in the box below, sign your name if you wish (or a pseudonym), click on the drop-down menu and choose anonymous, then click on publish.  If no comment box appears below, click on the little "comments" below and a box will appear.  So, now you have no excuse to stay in your shell. The world needs your input.

#1   The term "class warfare" is being heard in much of the political rhetoric of the 2012 campaign. The obvious classes being referred to are the rich and the poor, the haves and the have nots.  One side raised the term saying that the discussion of the wealth gap is causing division.  The other side says that the division already exists and ignoring it is not the answer, nor does stating the truth mean it is fanning the flames of "class warfare."  Does such a significant gap exist in the U. S. or is the idea of it just a creation of those who would want to use it?  Is it a problem that needs correction or just a natural result of a free economic system?    What other types of "class warfare" either truly exist or are created for political purposes?  How is victory defined in "class warfare?"

#2  How do you keep from catching a cold?  How do you cure it?  Are kleenex recyclable?  Any information about how to endure a stupid cold is appreciated.

#3  Are you more interested in the Super Bowl or the Oscars?  Give any opinion you wish about either, or both, or explain you preference.

.

5 comments :

  1. It is absolutely "class warfare." It is meant to create jealousy between the "have nots" and the ones who have worked hard to get where they are -- hopefully gaining votes because of it. Equal opportunity is not the same as equal results. Each citizen has the opportunity to work hard and earn what they can. The only correction needed is to get the government out and let the system work. Another type of "class warfare" that exists is the way the race card is thrown around. Only a racist would ever disagree with what his highness wants to do. Ridiculous. I don't care if you are white, black, pink, purple, green, or whatever. If you are destroying this country, I won't like your policies. Period. Unfortunately, there'll never be a "victory" in these "warfares" because there will always be those who will try to drum up these things to hold power (Jackson, Sharpton, Obama, etc.). Without creating these problems to "fix," these guys would have to find a different line of work (I doubt they could hold a real job, though).

    Live in a bubble to avoid a cold, although even that may not work.

    Who is Oscar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor people may talk a mean game, and it might sound a bit like class warfare. They may spend a great deal of their unemployed existence protesting, but as a friend of mine reminded me just the other day, "Poor people have really shitty lobbyists" (and accountants).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Class warfare." Does such a significant gap exist in the U. S. or is the idea of it just a creation of those who would want to use it?

    It has existed since the nation began in the scheming minds of would-be tax-vading founding fathers...

    Is it a problem that needs correction or just a natural result of a free economic system?

    Sadly, it comes with the turf.

    How is victory defined in "class warfare?"

    When the 1% uniformly exercise the concept of noblesse oblige on behalf of the 99%...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some ways the government positively impacted my life. FYI...I am probably the exception.

    I was born at Carraway Hospital in Birmingham. It, like so many hospitals across the State, was able to make ends meet due partially to the volume of Medicaid and Medicare recipients it served. My parents drove to and from the hospital on public roads in an automobile produced by an industry subsidized by the federal government. Gas was cheap, but that makes sense considering it was also subsidized. So I guess the federal government was pretty much the only thing standing between me, and a bathtub birth.

    As a toddler I felt very conflicted knowing that my hospital birth, as well as my parents' driving habits were contributing to an unparalleled increase in the size and scope of the federal government and a ballooning federal deficit (these were the Reagan years after all). At about three years of age, I learned the concept of teamwork. I learned that there were some things I could not do on my own (like wipe), but if I worked together with another person (usually one of my parents) we could overcome some pretty incredible obstacles. I now understood why we needed government... most people on their own cannot drill for oil, build a hospital, create and connect their own highways, build the internet, construct ports, learn Algebra, refine the oil, build a combustion engine, borrow money, protect their country's borders, secure their right to property, become a doctor, take out a loan, prevent religious persecution, and protect their rights to free speech, but together we can.

    At age 5 with all my newfound wisdom, I thought it might be time to get some knowledge. Since there were no credible private schools in the area, and I probably couldn't afford them anyway, I went to public school in Oneonta. Oneonta City Schools weren’t the best in the world, but still, they were better than most. After not trying that hard, but having been lucky enough to be born with my parents' intelligence, I graduated from high school and matriculated at Birmingham Southern College. BSC was a private school, but still received significant funding from the federal and state governments. After graduation, and with the help of substantial federal education loans, I went on to attend grad school at another private, publicly funded institution.

    After completing my degree, I got a good job in a well-regulated and relatively equitable economy. Every morning I get up, brush my teeth with clean water, drive my safe and fuel efficient car to work on public roads, sometimes with the windows down to get a few breaths of that clean and fresh air, on the way to take part in the world's largest economy. My mind is at ease and my confidence strong, knowing there are rules governing property rights, consumer protection, business ethics, hiring practices, and all other things that make our economy strong and equitable.

    After entering the workforce, I bought a home. The federal government was the primary insurer of my mortgage (as they are for most first time homebuyers). Even better still, the federal government also insures most of my bank and investment accounts.

    That brings us to today. I’ll admit I am luckier than most, and in so many different ways. I pay taxes every year, and it’s OK. If I make more money, I will pay more taxes. It's not fun, but it is part of my understanding of the mutual responsibility related to American citizenship (plus I get a lot in return). Sometimes I try to take way too much credit for my own success. While I am partially responsible, I struggle to recognize that the people who came before me laid the groundwork for my success (not just my family, but other people that I don’t even know, perhaps even a few Irish Americans), and likewise I must continue to lay that same foundation for the many that follow.

    It's not class warfare, it's common sense; people that benefit the most from the land of opportunity should be expected to give the most back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consistent washing of the hands, keeping hands off face/eyes/nose/mouth: these have prevented colds in my life for many years now. Also taking Emergen-C builds immune system (and tastes pretty good!) Zinc tablets help shorten colds somewhat. The ol' fashioned Vicks Vap-o-Rub works great to help breathe. So sorry you're sickly in body.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics