Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thurvey, 1/19/2012 . . . a cleaner, leaner Thurvey

Here we go with the Thurvey (Thursday survey) again.  Based upon anecdotal data it appears that the large number of questions from which to choose may be daunting to potential responders.  So, the Thurvey staff has cut back dramatically on the number of questions.  If you wish to share your responses with the world, simply type your response in the comment box below, include your name if you wish to be known, click on anonymous from the "comment as" drop down menu, then click on publish.  If the comment box does not appear below, click on the tiny "comments" below and voila, it should appear.

1.  The presidential election is nasty, and keeps getting nastier,  and that is just among the Republicans in the family feud.  It will only get worse.  So, let's try an exercise that I learned somewhere in my childhood.  I think it was the roots of my penchant for sarcasm.  Pick out a candidate other than the one you support, preferably the one you like the least, and say the best things you can muster about him (or her for those who are just aching to say something nice about Michelle Bachman, even though she stepped aside.)  For instance, I might say that Newt Gingrich reminds me of Captain Kangaroo and Mitt Romney reminds me of Mr. Green Jeans.  Now that I think of it Santorum reminds me of Mr. Moose and Huntsman reminds me of Mr. Bunny Rabbit.  Chris Christie reminds me of Dancing Bear. Paul reminds me of Grandfather Clock.  I have fond memories of all of these characters from Captain Kangaroo, and so now I feel a warmer spot in my heart for all of them.  (For you younger readers, these are all characters of the early TV hit childrens' program "Captain Kangaroo.") I suppose my Captain Kangaroo theme might stem from typing this while eating fruit loops and watching morning TV, not wanting to go to school . . . I mean work.  Anyway, that's what I might say. Serious or sarcastic, it doesn't matter.  Let's just try to feel better about each other.

2.  Ron Paul was booed by the crowd at the last Republican debate when he suggested that the Golden Rule, do unto others what you would have them do unto you, is an appropriate consideration in our country's foreign policy.  How do you feel about that?  Why?

3.  What is the best movie you have seen since Thanksgiving? Why?

12 comments :

  1. Mitt Romney's personality and face are very pliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice. Now don't you feel better . . .

      Delete
    2. 1. I like the named Newt. It makes me think of a cute little salamander creature. He is kind of slimy like that...oh crap, I just can't do it.
      2. I am frankly appalled that a crowd of people who probably call themselves Christian and even Evangelicals, would boo this. I don't recall Jesus saying turn the other cheek unless you think they are going to hit you. I know the Golden Rule isn't exclusively Christian, but I was brought up in that faith and feel that the concept of the Golden Rule was taught to me from that perspective. As for Ron Paul, he actually is pretty sensible some of the time.
      3. I don't watch movies very often. I did watch Pretty in Pink the other day and it brings back some lovely memories of the 80's. The clothes, the music, the brat pack. I think the lessons from that movie are: 1)Don't be afraid of having your own style, 2)fall in love easily and often 3)and to recognize that we all are a member of certain "group" and that it is difficult to migrate between groups no matter how hard we try.

      Thanks for the shorter thurvey!

      Delete
    3. "...whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also..."

      This is a reference to insults -- not to self-defense or the defense of others. Even in the Middle East today a backhand is a gross insult. So, for a person to be hit on the right cheek would imply a backhand (since most people are right handed). Jesus also told those who did not have a sword to sell their clothes and buy one. That doesn't sound like he always expects us to "turn the other cheek." But...I'm not getting into this religious debate anymore than this post.

      And, yes, I'm a Christian, saved by His Grace. I believe in the Golden Rule. If everyone lived by it, there wouldn't be a need to use the sword. But don't think for a second that I won't use my fists or "sword" in self-defense or the defense of others if an attack of some kind happens or is imminent.

      Delete
  2. 1. Something nice about the worst candidate...let me see...um...uh...Oh yeah! He did, supposedly, order the killing of the Somali pirates back in '09 (although I give Navy Seals the credit and praise).

    2. Disagree. An imminent threat should be dealt with prior to their being able to cause harm to Americans or our allies.

    3. Since I never watch movies, I'll have to say Boys' Night Out from 1962 starring James Garner that I caught on AMC (I think) a few days ago. I've only watched two movies since Thanksgiving, so it was either that or Country Strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is okay to mention the candidate's name when straining to say something nice. I'm thinking it was President Obama. Pretty sure he suited up with the seals on that one . . . that's what I heard. And, there's nothing wrong with an old James Garner movie anytime.

      Delete
    2. I started watching because it starred Garner. The only movies I usually watch are Star Trek or old westerns (when I have time), but I thought I'd give James a shot in something other than a western.

      Delete
  3. 1. I think men look nice in sweater vest.
    2. Nothing and I mean nothing surprises me anymore.
    3. Home movies of my grandson....because he's awesome!

    Have a great day!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. It frustrates me. How can they claim to be Christians and boo the Golden Rule?

    3. Water for Elephants was pretty good. Oh, The Muppet Movie was fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Romney has money so he can't be corrupted by money, only power.
    2. I don't know who gave us the right to make the rules for every other country.
    3. Saw We Bought A Zoo. Really good but sadder than I thought it would be.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Mitt Romney's willingness to compromise could help to break the Washington gridlock.
    2. The Golden Rule is always appropriate.
    3. The Terminal (older Tom Hanks movie): thought-provoking poke at bureaucracy and a pleasing snapshot of innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Several of the Republican candidates have very nice hair.
    2. I am pleased to see foreign policy outlined this way; I am a Christian first and an American second (or perhaps fifth) and so I endeavor to apply the teachings of Jesus to my politics.
    3. Been on a movie kick lately, and I like them all, for different reasons. Waiting for Superman, The Nines, From Prada to Nada, the latest muppet movie - but the Adventures of TinTin tops my list right now because it was old-fashioned movie fun and everyone in the fam, from parents to college-aged to elementary school-aged enjoyed it. And the technology! wow...
    btw, love this blog, Mr. Bentley & share it on facebook from time to time. Thanks for writing.
    Friend o' Max

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics