Thursday, January 1, 2009

Just give me a second, will ya . . .

I have made a critical mistake. I misunderstood a recent news report concerning the addition of one second to the calendar to allow for a deviation between time as calculated by the rotation of the earth and time calculated by an atomic clock. Apparently earth is slowing down slowly. I understood that I was to get an additional second in 2009. This morning, this first day of 2009, I found out that they gave us the extra second in 2008. Dang. I wish they had made that more clear.

It's not everyday you get additional time given to you. And I let the offer lapse. I don't know how I used that extra second that apparently we got in 2008. It's a shame, because I had big plans for that extra second in 2009. I was going to go the second mile. Not really, I just had to use that line. It was too good to waste, and after all, I've already wasted a free second.

What could I have possibly done with a second had I known? I could have run five or six yards. Driven my car 85 or 90 feet. Read about a half a line of print. My heart could have beaten nine tenths of a beat (I didn't plan to use my extra second exercising). I could have held a hand, a hug, a gaze just one second more.

That's silly, you may be thinking. (which took much less than a second) Just one second won't make any difference.

But what about that second in which a decision was made?

I don't make decisions in a second, you may be thinking. What about huge, life changing decisions that consume days, weeks and months? You would need a second helping of seconds to make much difference, wouldn't you?

A decision is not made until a decision is made. Everything up to that point is process, which is a good thing. Usually makes for better decisions. But the decision, that moment in which process turns into an action or choice that is manifested in reality and sets a distinct course of events in motion, occurs in a second, no matter how large the decision or how lengthy the deliberation. To choose a college, to quit a job, to take a job, to have surgery, to get married, to get divorced, to move, who to vote for, whether to forgive, or seek forgiveness, all require a process, but at some point, some second, the decision is made and everything changes. A path that excludes other paths is chosen.

And then there are split-second decisions. Whether to say that last word in anger. Whether to raise the fist, or some other gesture. Whether to pull a trigger. Whether to say I love you. Whether to press "send". Whether to take that exit or not. All decisions mostly made in a second or so.

2008 seemed like one of the longest years. In fact it was. It had the February 29th that comes only in leap years plus the extra second. But I don't think it was the extra seconds that made the big difference. It was the choices made during all the seconds of 2008 that made it seem interminable.

So I make a motion that we all pay attention to each moment in 2009, and the possibilities and consequences each one holds. Do I hear a second?
.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics