Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bees a blessing

When I was a child, I went barefoot in the summer, unless I was playing baseball, or mowing the lawn (and that was only if someone made me). There is freedom in being shoeless. The freedom is not without a price, however. One time I was running after a football I had thrown to myself (a sad story in itself) and I kicked the claw end of a crow bar hidden in the green grass of summer. But the more common problem was the bees that enjoyed the clover in our lawn. So at an early and formative age I developed a dislike, or at least a distrust of bees.

So I was shocked yesterday at my reaction to some bees I watched move among the blossoms of a crab apple tree and a blueberry bush. I stood and watched them for a few minutes, thinking how wonderful it was to see them.

Why the sudden change of heart?

The plight of bees, in particular honey bees, has been all over the news lately. They are simply going away. That's bad news for all of us who enjoy food. Scientists have yet to come up with an explanation, and it is a serious problem.

So, with the knowledge that the bees were in trouble, I saw the bees in a completely different light. I had assumed they were part of this world that would never change. They would always be doing what they are supposed to do. I had no idea that they could have such problems that they would become so weak, or perhaps even go away.

But when the bees started failing to show up for work, their absence was noted. They were probably having problems long before they didn't show up, I mean, they have a pretty good work record. But no one noticed. No one noticed that they were weaker, or a little slower, or that their wings had little tears.

But now at least there are some honey bees in Oneonta that are working, and looking healthy. I stood there for a few minutes, appreciating their work, and thanked God for the bees . . . out loud, so they could hear.

4 comments :

  1. carpenter bees are eating my house. I can hear them chewing the wood while I try to sleep and as it pains me to do it, I'm calling an exterminator today.

    But I'm glad you are enjoying the bees. One of my fondest memories from childhood was watching my granddad care for his bee hives (from a distance of course). We would often enjoy the fruits of their labor.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You don't get a buzzing-noise like that...without its meaning something... The only reason for making a buzzing-noise that I know of is because you're a bee. And the only reason for being a bee that I know of is making honey. And the only reason for making honey is so as I can eat it." -- Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees by A.A. Milne

    ReplyDelete
  3. and so it is with the secret life of bees...i bet they appreciated your noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't strange that even that smallest creatures have a purpose for us. God has gotta get us more bees. I'll start praying now. Just curious, have you seen the animated "Bee" Movie with Jerry Seinfeld in it? If you haven't you got to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics