Monday, April 28, 2008

Signs, signs, everywhere signs . . .

The other day I was driving home from Birmingham. It was the middle of an intense week, and I was pondering the value of how I spend my days. Sometimes being a lawyer can feel noble and good. Other times it doesn't. Anyway, I was cruising north on 59 with the question in my mind as to whether I should continue doing what I do.

So, while in a prayerful state about that big question, I look up, and there it is. A sign. An orange sign with black letters. It said, "END WORK'.

I thought to myself, could that be some kind of sign? Of course it was. It was in fact a sign. I thought about it for about a millisecond, and then began to laugh. Sure it was a sign, but I don't think it was a dew on the fleece kind of sign (See Gideon). It was a sign that let me know I could drive faster now.

Sometimes we want a sign so bad we will make one out of anything. But God really does give us signs. Some of them are to give us assurance, some give us direction, and some, quite a lot I think, make us laugh.

3 comments :

  1. Great Bob, Im right there with you. Just imagine all the signs we face each day. To think about it can be overwhelming and thanks be to God, Jesus is our huge guiding sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how do we know when it's a sign or it isn't? I think, sometimes we laugh them off because we are afraid of what would happen if they really were "a sign".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right about our ability to avoid signs, but I don't know how to tell. I think that if we are honest with ourselves we know. Like a whole lot of things we ignore, we know whar is right and wrong, what is real and what is fake. I always wondered why Gideon had to have more than one sign. It's an old problem.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics