Sunday, April 6, 2008

Party elections . . .

A funny thing happened on the way to a party last night. The party was for
Benjamin and Kate, to celebrate their upcoming marriage. I was going to be a little late. I called Benjamin earlier in the day to get the instructions to the home where the party was being held. He said to take a left off 31 at the drugstore across from the Vestavia City Center, go past the Methodist church, take a left, then an immediate right. The party is just down the street a short way. Look for all the cars. I was pleased. Much easier to find than I had thought.

So I followed the intructions. They were perfect. I made the turns, went a short way, and there were the cars. The house where the party was being thrown was obvious, you could see people in the large window. So I parked, walked up the sidewalk, and not wanting to disturb anyone, let myself in. The host and hostess greeted me and introduced me to a few folks. Then they led me to an elderly lady in a wheel chair and said " and here is the birthday girl."

I was in the wrong party. Fortunately they were wonderful people and I am quite sure they had a wonderful time. But it was the wrong party for me. I told them of my error, wished the birthday girl happy birthday, and made my humble exit.

I got back into my car, rode about 100 yards further down the street, and there was a bunch of cars. I could tell there was a party going on, cause I could see the people through the window. I parked the car, walked up the sidewalk, and, not wanting to disturb anyone, let myself in. The hostess greeted me and introduced me to some folks standing close by. For a split second I wondered, "Could this be another wrong party?" Then I saw Benjamin and Kate and some other familiar faces, and they welcomed me. The party was great. I met some new friends and had the pleasure of catching up with a couple of old friends I had not seen in years.

There are a lot of great parties going on in this world. Good people, loving each other, who wouldn't question, but would welcome a lost stranger. You know they are good parties because of the crowds that park outside the doors. Every party is not the right party for everyone, and that's okay.

I just thought it was great that on that street on that night, there were two parties, each celebrating life with friends and family, brought together in love. Maybe in some way they were all the same party after all.

3 comments :

  1. How many good parties do we miss because we don't look for where all the cars are parked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know this story has made me smile all afternoon. I was not out on the party circuit this weekend. So thanks for sharing your partying spirit, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of this blunder happening to a better person. You know sometimes I hate that it feels like Christians are frustrated a lot of the time with each other. But its great to know that there is a party going on with friends and people who would make great friends.

    Thanks for the window into the Kingdom of God for today

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics