Thursday, April 3, 2008

Old hearts should be tougher . . .

I'm getting older. Some would just say old. I don't feel that way, but, it's just a fact. When I was younger I thought of myself as a romantic. I wrote songs about love, talked about the beauty of sunsets and oceans, and offered my heart up to be squashed on a regular basis. And it was. Most of the time the squasher didn't even know she had squashed anything cause I was too shy to let her know I was seriously interested.

I assumed that there would come a time when the old heart would toughen up a bit. That the chances of it breaking would be greatly reduced as I became older and wiser, more experienced in the ways of the world and therefore able to remain in control, especially of my own emotions. I thought that passions were for the young.

But I still write songs about love. I proclaim the beauty of sunsets and oceans more than ever. And while still a tad uncertain of myself, I have actually exposed my heart a little more openly. Let me tell you, it still breaks. I guess some things never get old.

4 comments :

  1. You remember what old Marty Balin sang, don't you? Hearts can be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Marty Balin sang . . .

    Hearts
    Is everything alright?
    I just called to say
    How lost I feel
    Without you
    Miles away
    I really can't believe I'm here
    And how I still care about you.

    Hearts can break and never mend together
    Love can fade away
    Hearts can cry
    When love won't stay forever
    Hearts can be that way.

    Is everything the same?
    Do you ever think of me
    And how we loved one another
    Will you change your mind
    Will you want me back again
    Or have you found yourself a new lover?

    Hearts can break and never mend together
    Love can fade away
    Hearts can cry
    When love won't stay forever
    Hearts can be that way.

    Is everything ok?
    I just thought I'd write a song
    To tell the world
    How much I miss you
    'Cause each and every day
    I think of all the words I never said
    And all the chances that I had to.

    Hearts can break and never mend together
    Love can fade away
    Hearts could cry
    When love won't stay forever
    Hearts can be that way

    Hearts can be that way
    Hearts can beeeee
    Is everything alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know that hearts SHOULD be tougher...i know some pretty hard hearted a--holes.

    i'm sorry that you ever had your heart broken, but i'm glad you are who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But when it mends, the scars YOU see look different to those of us on the outside; they're more like beauty marks than scars since they give assurance that there is a Mender of hearts whose own heart was broken. His scars are beautiful to someone like me, and so are yours.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics