Friday, April 25, 2008

A little help from my friend . . .

It's been a rough week. Not bad but rough. Non-stop lawyering. People with problems, contentious prosecutors (that means they disagree with me). Long hours, long trips.

So, when I took time to sit down and write funny script for Hee Haw, which is coming up this weekend at Lester Memorial (Sat. and Sun. dinner performances, 5:30, y'all come), I just couldn't come up with anything funny. The kind of stuff I could think of would not make anyone laugh.

So I called a friend and explained the situation. She asked, "what can I do to help?" Well, I couldn't think of anything. Then she said, "you want me to sing you a song?" Now that brought the first laugh from my mouth for a couple of days. So she sang "You are My Sunshine", mumbling through the verse when she didn't know the words. This is one of those friends that can sing, but she just doesn't voluntarily sing when cued by words in conversation, or just spontaneously, as some of us do. So, the sacrifice she made in singing to me on the phone in my time of need made me smile.

It may not seem like much, but my friend singing for me lifted me up to a place where I could laugh, and later on that evening, begin to help create a character based on the niece of Minnie Pearl. The jokes are extremely corny, but they are done.

That's what friends are for. Go ahead and sing it, I know you want to.

"Keep smiling, keep laughing,
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure,
That's what friends are for . . .

da, da, da,
da, da, da,
da, da, da, da, da, da, da, da da.
That's what friends are for . . ."

1 comment :

Real Time Analytics