Saturday, April 26, 2008

You don't know what you've got till it's gone . . .

Funny how quickly things can change. We live our lives taking so many things for granted. So many things must function correctly for us to live our lives as we do. I never think about that until something gets out of kilter.

I was thinking about my cell phone just this week. Amazing. That little lump of alloy and plastic has been dropped, both on concrete and in the toilet, coated with sand, sat in the car with a temperature range between 15 degrees to about a million. And it works, after two years, way past my upgrade date. It just keeps on working. How do they make something that good? But, if one little bitty connector wire gets bent or breaks, it won't work.

Like Vann's car. Most of it works. But yesterday afternoon the battery light came on, and it wasn't being charged anymore. It's still at the Summit.

Tonight, around 5:15, I felt a scratch in my throat. By the time I started singing at Hee Haw (one performance left, Sunday 5:30, Lester Memorial UMC, Oneonta, y'all come) around 5:45, my voice was clearly (or actually not so clearly) leaving. By the time I tried to sing Where or Where are you Tonight, phffllt, it was gone.

A small aggravation. But a blessing too. I'm a guy who is amazed that a cell phone works, that a car keeps running, or that jets can really stay up in the air. So to consider how a human body keeps on working is miraculous. I mean really. Miraculous. I don't think of that so much when it is just humming along as it usually does. But tonight as I sit in silence, I am thinking of that. Truly amazing.

And it does pretty good at fixing itself. Even my trusty Samsung won't do that.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics