Monday, January 19, 2009

The best seats . . .

There are too many things to write about today. I struggle with words appropriate to describe what is going on in our country.

Because words of my own will not come, I have been spending my time this morning reading words to which I often return, and on this day seemed necessary, words that brought tears to run down my cheeks, and even a soft sob or two. It is a good time to be alone.

Tomorrow is the inauguration of an African American president. But today is Martin Luther King day. It would seem that God has taken part in the inaugural planning, because Martin Luther King, and thousands of foot soldiers, came before Obama. The grueling two year presidential campaign so deftly negotiated by Obama has been well documented and was an enormous accomplishment. But it pales in comparison to the fifty year campaign for equality that has allowed this moment to come.

King's words are always powerful, always prophetic, and often haunting. I re-read many of his speeches this morning, but ended with the final speech, in Memphis, on the eve of his assassination. You know the one. He was urging unity for workers, in Memphis and across the country, a stand that he knew would bring strong, violent opposition, even as he re-affirmed the peaceful expression of protest to despicable conditions. This is how it ended.

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."
http://www.mlkonline.net/speeches.html

Tomorrow millions will be present for the swearing in of the first African American president. Most will not be able to see what is going on.

If God does have a hand in the planning, I like to think that he has given Martin Luther King and his friends the choice seats, perched high on that Mountain Top, so that they can see and hear all that has come to pass in the promised land.

Glory.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics