Friday, January 16, 2009

Bye George I think we got it, finally.

George Bush conveyed his final final official farewell last night. Thirteen minutes of avoiding the elephants in the room: failed foreign policy, economic disaster, energy crisis denial, the gutting of sound environmental policy, the tragedy of New Orleans, the erasure of the Bill of Rights, government sanctioned torture, war crimes, sweet deals for political buddies who made money off war and high gas prices . . . lots of elephants. No wonder the goodbye took only thirteen minutes. He couldn't afford to bring up anything of substance. It's hard to keep those elephants quiet. The late night talk show guys had a good time with it, and it continues today. I am making a point to watch Letterman tonight for the final Great Moments in American Presidential Speeches. It is open season on the lame duck.

But to be fair, while many citizens' retirement plans have been devestated by this administration's negligent leadership, Bush almost single handedly created a bubble comparable to the dot com or real estate boom. . . for comedians. It has been so easy. But I fear I hear the bubble bursting. Hard times could be coming.

I am one of those people that never understood the support for George Bush to be president, and certainly not for a second term. How any one who had paid any attention to him prior to the 2000 election could think he was prepared, motivated, or intelligent enough to do the job still mystifies me. His performance in every debate he was ever in was abysmal. And it did not get better with presidential experience.

I enjoy making fun of people as much as the next guy. Shoot, I'll make fun of the next guy if I get any kind of opening. Sarcasm is my second language.

But I just can't seem to get on the bash Bush bandwagon. At least not in a funny way. I think I am just ready to move on. It just isn't funny any more. It never was. It was tragic.

Amazingly, in his next to the last final farewell, Bush told the press that they had "mis-underestimated" him.

At last, in these farewell words something I can agree with. The press mis-underestimated Bush from the beginning. And it damaged America and the world beyond description.

They should have underestimated him a lot more and a lot sooner.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics