Saturday, April 18, 2009

It's nothing to laugh at?

Saturday. Coffee. Sofa

Laughter is good for you. A study was just completed that if you laugh on a daily basis there are significant health benefits. That's the kind of study I would have volunteered for. Actually it's making me laugh to think that somebody felt a study was necessary to reach this conclusion. I imagine they are laughing all the way to the bank.

You know that feeling after you really lose control from laughing so hard. No, not the feeling of whether you really wet your pants or not; the feeling of feeling good, a bit more energetic, relaxed, well, happy. A feeling of release.

I have the good fortune to think that I am incredibly funny. Beginning when I look in the bathroom mirror first thing every morning. I had a friend who used to tell me to look at myself in the bathroom mirror every morning and say, "there is one good looking guy." I tried that. It made me laugh. That look would make anyone laugh, but I keep it to myself. I guess it was good advice. So I laugh a lot when I am alone, most of the time in the car. When the voice at the drive through window says "that'll be three dollars at the second window," I like to respond, "can I try for a better deal at the first window?" Or they sometimes say, "that'll be three dollars, please drive around." I can't help but say "okay, I'll run to the post office, but how long is this going to take."

I am sure the sound of my own laughter is the reason I haven't heard the drive through voice joining in the guffawing. They are so professional. By the time I pick up my food at the window they have completely regained their composure, as if they had not laughed at all.

And then there's always the laughter that comes at other's expense. I know it is wrong, but sometimes it can't be helped. Calamity is often hilarious. You know, the unexpected stumble and fall, a shirt worn inside out, a misspoken word in just the right place, usually in front of a large or important group of people. Apparently God wired us that way. A friend who is a good Methodist and University of Alabama fan called the other day having troubles. That was not the funny part. But the next call a short time later was funny. The car battery was dead. Okay, that's not funny either, especially when you're already having troubles. The battery was dead and the car was stranded in front of the Baptist Student union on the campus of Auburn University. I couldn't help it. I laughed. My offer of help was ignored. I am not sure it could be heard through my giggles.

But the best laughter of all is laughing with someone else. Even better than laughing at someone else. Sadly, probably the best laughter is laughing with someone else at another someone else. I am not proud of it, that's just the way it is.

Garth Tobler, a fellow Lesterine (member of Lester Memorial UMC), is an extremely funny guy in his own right. But a few weeks ago he embarked on a Kairos prison ministry weekend. The Sunday he was doing ministry in prison, there was a particularly large crowd at church. Tony Jones, our associate pastor, was leading the congregation in prayer concerns, and began to give a deeply heartfelt and serious explanation of the prison ministry. He said, "and so we need to remember to pray for our brother Garth Brooks as he ministers to those guys . . ."

I guess you had to be there. But it was hard to be serious for the prayer as an entire congregation was about to bust a gut.

I have thought for a long time that music was a mysterious gift from God. A language of the soul.

I think it's the same way with laughter. Not exactly a language of the soul.

More like a spiritual whoopee cushion.

You can join the Lesterines for an overdose of laughter at our annual Hee Haw extravaganza next Saturday and Sunday evenings at 5;30. Garth Brooks won't be there, but Garth Tobler will be in his much acclaimed cover of Charley Farkelson, KORN news . . ., and Tony Jones, pretty much as Tony Jones. The proceeds go to the Appalachia Service Project. Don't eat before you come, a big Grandpa Jones kinda dinner is served. No reservations necessary, although you might be wise to feel some. No admission charge.

We don't have a price for admission. But it costs big to get to leave . . .

.

2 comments :

  1. You ARE a funny guy...don't ever let anyone tell you differently! And OF COURSE we are all laughing with you, not at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a reason there isn't an acronym for "crying out loud" but LOL is one of the most commonly used abbreviations on the internet. Keep laughing, Bobbo!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics