Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A light in the darkness . . .

It has been a day.

I was in court all day. For hours it seemed that every time I turned around there was a client, a district attorney or a judge needing my immediate attention. Forgeries, assaults, child custody and other assorted alleged wrongs occupied my mind. From court over to church to eat a quick supper and go to Bible study. Then after Bible Study another hour and a half discussion about solving the problems in the middle east and gay marriage.

But now I am alone at home on the sofa and my brain is finally slowing down.

Before the ridiculous craziness of the day began I was meeting early with some friends in a reunion group. We meet every Wednesday morning for spiritual accountability and whatever comes up.

As our meeting began shortly after seven we learned that our friend Stan had died. Stan had suffered from a variety of health problems for years brought on by diabetes. His eyes quit working several years ago and in the last few years he became dependent on a wheel chair.

Stan's eyes quit working because of the ravages of diabetes. But Stan was not blind. He "saw" more of the world around him than any of us with functioning vision.

Stan appreciated and relished the richness of life and the people in his community. In a world where cynicism and negativity are the rule, Stan was a shining beacon. If there was an antithesis of a "black hole," a 'white hole, " if you will, it should be called Stan. Where so many of us are capable of sucking the energy and life out of the space around of us after a tough day, Stan was the opposite. Enthusiasm and positive energy splashed on those who gathered around his chair. Stan would be justified in feeling that all of his days were tough, tougher than almost anyone who approached him. But you would never know it to hear him talk.

He loved to tell the women how beautiful the are. And they loved it too. His description of a good meal, whether it be at church, at someone's home, or a local eatery, made the New Yorker restaurant reviews seem like a mimeographed school lunch menu. He noticed things in live musical performances that the rest of the audience never heard. And if you were his friend, he only noticed the good notes, the grand things that you had done, and he would loudly proclaim them to all around.

I am just one of hundreds that was lifted by Stan's encouragement. More like thousands if you count the local radio audience that he often encouraged on Friday mornings as he enthusiastically exclaimed over the phone, 'TGIF Big D."
Then he would tell Terri how gorgeous she has always been. He would go on to tell about something great going on in Blount County. He made us better than we were just by reminding us of the goodness around us that we somehow could not see.

Stan was on my mind all day. While dealing with the darker side of humanity I thought of Stan's encouragement, his ability to find the good in people and bring it out. I thought of Stan in heaven, which I know is where he fully anticipated being, standing, walking, dancing, seeing all the glory with new eyes, and of course, offering his review of the heavenly banquet table after an adequate sampling.

And as usual, Stan made me smile.

Truth is, I can't do him justice. But if he were here he would make me believe I could. I'm gonna miss him.

So as I write I've been listening to some tunes in his honor. As I recall, he liked him some Keb Mo. So I've been listening. Here's one I think Stan liked, "Let Your Light Shine." Read it, and let your heart sing it to someone else tomorrow. Sounds a lot like Stan, except it rhymes.

You say,
You want to get over.
What are you gonna do?
Watch the world go by
In a corner of the room?
I know,
None of my business.
But there's something I need to say,
If you could see you
The way I see you
You'd start flying on your own.
Step aside and . . .
Let your light shine.
Let your love show
It's a short ride
Down the long road.
When the rains come
And the winds blow
Let your light shine
Wherever you go.
This world is ready and waiting
For you to break on through.
It's time to recognize,
To realize,
You're the only one like you.
Step on up,
Step into your greatness.
Don't be afraid.
There's a place where you will rise up to;
No one else could do what you do.
Get out of the way

Thanks Stan.

.

4 comments :

  1. Stan was a beacon! A shining light, a balcony person. He changed all our lives and our church and our community in an amazing way.
    Bob I am so thankful for your ability to express feelings in words. For those of use who can't thanks for the beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend.
    M Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That is absolutely beautiful.That was a perfect passage.Thank you so much. All I can say is WOW!!!! K. Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. You couldn't have said it better. I have sent this link to so many people from all over the world. He was an inspiration to everyone that he came into contact with and those who have read this post. He is the reason that I live in Key West now. I am living out not only one of my dreams but one of his as well. He was my best friend. Michael Young

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics