Wednesday, February 4, 2009

We're all five stars . . .

The day started early with reunion group, an accountability group of guys that meet each Wednesday morning to check our discipleship. In the midst of my brothers in Christ sharing our souls before 8:00 a.m., an occasional alert from a cellphone would signal the triumphant signing of a coveted high school football star recruited by our favorite Universities. Another moment close to Christ.

I love college football, but I have traditionally refused to take much interest in the recuiting season, a hold-over from disappointments several years and coaches ago.

But even in my relative ignorance, I enjoyed the spirit of the day. On this day there was no negative talk, unless a young man defected from an early commitment. The chatter in the halls was how fast, big and strong a signee was; how he could run, defend, rush, block, catch or pass. There was no disappointment in anyone who signed on for a favored school. By signing on the dotted line (actually it was probably solid) a recruit became one of our own. For today, he has no faults. Nothing but great promise for great things.

What a great idea to come out of something as strange as recruiting madness.

No negativity. Hope. Anticipation. Acceptance. Celebration.

At some point today I remember making the observation that if the whole world could sit down together and watch "Stripes," "Blazing Saddles," and "Animal House" with free refreshment, we could probably live together in harmony and solve our common problems. I didn't get to eat today, so I was a bit light headed at that point.

So maybe that isn't the answer to the world's problems.

But this recruitment day attitude may have promise. The world would be changed if we saw each other as we see the recruits on signing day. We would look for the gifts, the talents, and promise in each person. There would be no negativity. There would be hope and acceptance for all. We would celebrate each person.

I remember when I was a child in elementary school, we would divide teams for the game du jour by choosing sides. The waiting was horrifying. Would I be chosen? Would a girl be chosen before me? (actually they should have been, the fastest runners in our class were girls). Would I be chosen last, having to endure that absolute aloneness of standing solitary in the middle surrounded by two teams already chosen?

I think the best words in the world are "I choose Bob." Right up there with "I love you." I love to be loved, but you can love me with all my faults. You're supposed to love me. But if you choose me, that's different. You want me to be part of you because I have value to you. You think I am something.

Jesus said a lot of challenging things. But He said affirming things too. In John, chapter 15, Jesus says:

"I CHOSE YOU."

Jesus said, "I choose Bob."

And He said that to you, too. All of us. At the same time. He chose us all as He breathed Adam into existence. He chose us all as He was dying on the cross pleading for our forgiveness. We don't have to wait to be chosen. We all made the team.

So it's time to move out of the middle and join the team.

We just gotta put on the right cap.

Recruiting is over. It's time to play.

.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics